Skating or Runway

I didn't make it to boot camp since I stayed up so late working on music last night.
Nothing too fantastic happened at work.
At home, Dylan and I were going to watch our shows, but it turned out they were not on because of the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. I have weird feelings about this because I should really have watched the male figure skating. When I was a kid, I LOVED the figure skating so much that I begged my dad to build us a skating rink in the yard and being that I generally would not shut up, I got my way. My dad dug a flat little pool in the yard east of our house and lined it with plastic tarp, then filled it with water. Once the water froze, it was our own private ice skating rink! It was one of the coolest things my dad ever did for us, although he did a lot of cool things for us kids. But this one was really impressive. How many poor farm kids had their own ice skating rinks? Anyway, I idolized Brian Boitano and Brian Orser and would make up my own figure skating routines, generally using Mannheim Steamroller as my soundtrack because it seemed cheesy and weird enough to be ice skating music. When the ice would melt, I would then do my routines on rollerskates either in the garage or at the town tennis court. Usually, the things I liked in my childhood have stayed with me but figure skating is something I guess I just haven't kept up on. My brother and his girlfriend had been talking about Johnny Weir for weeks but I never did end up seeing him skate. Dylan and I tuned in for a little bit to see one of the other US guys skating, not the winner but the guy who fell down right away during his long program. After that we realized we were behind on Project Runway and that we could catch up and then watch the new episode at 10pm so that's what we did. It made me a little sad the next day that I didn't watch the figure skating.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 48
"Hold Me Now" Thompson Twins 12" single - Obviously this is their biggest hit and I guess you could say it's the song that introduced me to the Twins, although I don't remember that moment. What I do remember is seeing a photo of them in one of my cousin Travis's Dynamite Magazines and so at some point I ordered "Greatest Mixes" from my BMG Music Club. Anyway, I've always liked this song, although I can't say it's my favorite or even one of my favorites, but it's definitely nice enough. Not only did I have two identical copies of this on 12" vinyl, but I also have a 7" picture disc and a regular 7" single.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Oh, Devin, you crack me up! Mannaheim Steamrollers! I had no idea but I distinctly remember you loved to watch figure skating. You should watch Kim Yuna, she is so graceful and skates flawlessly!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!