Bayqueersfield or Gaykersfield

Today was a big day!
I was far too tired after staying up so late, to go to boot camp. I feel bad about missing so many times this week, though.
In the morning I uploaded the slideshow for "Hunters" to YouTube.
There was not much going on at work. On my lunch break, I went to Goodwill and the special store to get some stuff for the shows this weekend. We are playing for the GLSSN (gay student association at Cal State Bakersfield) tonight and at a bar in downtown Bakersfield tomorrow. I got some t-shirts and jewelry.
I left work a little early so I'd have time to pack up the car. I had to bring most of our PA, Amy and AJ had the other speaker and a smaller monitor speaker and the stands but I had the rest. Luckily since we all live now, I don't have to bring the Korg anymore so that saves room. I stopped at Crossroads on my way to pick Marc up and ended up buying a whole new outfit - I'm so predictable. I said I wasn't going to buy any new clothes for SG shows this year and then I go shopping twice and end up with 4 shirts and a new pair of pants.
I picked Marc up but we had to stop at Sam Ash on the way to get Dylan. I've been using this boxy PA head that Jaye gave me years ago for our shows lately, but we have a better PA and a mixer which is way more powerful; I just never had the cables to hook it all up. But, it was either buy the cables today or I would have had to bring the other PA and if I did that I would have needed to bring the big pink speaker and the bass head so even though I knew the cables would not be cheap it just made sense. All together, the 4 cables I needed came out to nearly $110. Yikes!!!
The traffic in and around Hollywood was so bad that we didn't pick Dylan up until after 5pm. I thought we were definitely going to be very late, when we got on the 170 freeway and hit traffic. It was frustrating, but we had all brought music to play in the car so it wasn't that bad. I played "Hunters of the Night" for Marc for the first time. He seemed to really be impressed. I also played both my remix and Brandon's remix of "Rock Hard," and Invisible Material's cover of "Party All the Time" which Marc had only heard my demo of with me singing on. This version is almost final and has Robin's vocals, Brandon's guitar and Ben's bass.
The traffic finally opened up and we went pretty fast most of the way after we had passed Magic Mountain. We ended up getting into Bakersfield almost right on time, around 7pm.
Our show was in the Student Union. Johnny was there to guide us in and we all showed up pretty much at the same time; we were first but Laura and Red were right behind us and then Amy and AJ arrived. There was a really big stage for us which was nice. We got everything set up pretty quickly and then we all had to get dressed and made up.
It was a fun little event. Marc DJ'ed for us and got people dancing. Johnny welcomed everyone and told some jokes and stories. We played our first set around 9:45 I think and got everyone up to the stage and dancing. It was really fun and I thought we sounded great; Marc later told me it sounded amazing.
We finished the first set and took a little break. I DJ'ed and played my song, which Amy complimented me on and said the production sounded really good. Johnny also came up and told me how good it sounded. I even went and danced to it for a little bit.
It seemed like people were leaving so we decided to play our second set right away; it was also getting late. Not as many people were there for this set but the ones that were seemed to really enjoy it. I remember this guy with a big glowing light up stick, rainbow colors, and he was twirling it around. Very nice.
After the show, I played a couple more songs from the laptop including my remix of "Rock Hard" which Amy hadn't heard yet. Then we took some pictures before getting everything packed back up into our cars.
We went back to Heather and Shantell's house after the show but none of us had thought to call them, and it was only when we pulled up to their house that I remembered that they had their own gig and probably were still at that. We decided to go get food and while we were in the drive thru, Shantell called me back to say they had finished and were loading up their car so they'd be home soon. So, we just went back to their place and ate in the car while we waited for them.
It's always so nice to see Heather and Shantell. They are 2/3rds of the band Three Chord Whore, who we first met at Zen Sushi in Silverlake when we played there with Skates. We became friends and stayed at their house on SG's "Talkin' Shit Tour" in 2007. Then, when Brandon and Amy broke up and we were left without a guitar player, we recruited Heather and Shantell to back us up for our shows at San Fransisco Pride and Sacramento Pride in 2008. We became even better friends then and I feel so at home whenever we stay at their place, which is nicknamed "The Whore House" after their band.
We were all pretty tired after the show but managed to hang out and party for awhile before Dylan, Johnny and I said our good-nights and went back to his house to sleep.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 43
Black Clio brand electric razor - This probably shouldn't really count since I just bought it a few weeks ago. I thought it was such a great find to get an electric razor for $2 but you really do get what you pay for. It didn't shave for $hit so I threw it away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!