Open/Closed

I made it to boot camp; we were at Runyon today and we were supposed to bring jump ropes, but I forgot. I had to borrow someone else's and the workout was so hard. We jumped roped for 3 minutes, then did high knee hops up and down the tennis court, then had to run up to the top via the stairway, touch the fence, and run back and do it all again. I was sweating up a storm and was far more tired afterward than usual.
At work, I realized I needed to pay bills so I called Susan to see when I should come up. She told me it was Diana's birthday and they were going out for sushi so I should come join them and do checks either before or after. So I went up around noon and actually got all the checks done before we left for lunch. We went to Mikado which is on Riverside Drive just across from what used to be the Studio Suite where Shitting Glitter played a few gigs, and a block away from where Dylan lived when we first met.
I have to say this was one of the most memorable lunches I've had in LA! It was me, Diana, Susan, and her son Jonathan. Susan goes there a lot, so her and Jonathan ordered pretty much everything and asked if there was anything else we wanted to add. Everything was so delicious and we were pretty much full, but we decided to order one more thing. Susan told the waitress to have the chef "surprise" us. He made us a plate of seared toro, which I liked but we decided was too fishy (the one thing Susan had asked for was not to be too fishy). Then, suddenly they brought us out another HUGE plate that had scallops, toro rolls, tuna, and a couple other things on it! We were like, what are we going to do with all this. Then, the chef comes and asks us if we want to try live shrimp. Jonathan said he'd never tried it before so we said yes. First the brought out the tail, and we were a bit confused, but the waitress said the shrimp was alive seconds ago but the chef cut it's head off. We ate the shrimp which was almost translucent in color and tasted pretty much just like regular shrimp but with a slightly different texture. The waitress noticed our disappointment and brought us the head, which had been deep fried with some tempura. We were like, what do we do with this? The waitress told us we could eat the whole thing! There were two of them, so Jonathan nibbled on one although he was a little grossed out by the eyeballs sticking out like bubbles. Diana was brave and just took a huge bite out of the other one. She said it was good, so I tried a bite myself, and it was OK but I couldn't bring myself to eat much more of it. Then they brought out the shrimp eggs! We ate some of them but I was a little grossed out. Finally, they brought us out desert which was green tea and vanilla ice cream with mochi. Yum! A very interesting meal.
I went back to the office and got some work done, then I went to the Village to see if Tiger needed any last minute help. He did need someone to open all the CD players, put the CD's in them and label the players with which interviews were in each player. I went home and was working on this and then I got up to use the bathroom. Suddenly, I heard this loud noise. I went out to the living room and decided it was some sort of siren over at the school. I went back to the bathroom but I thought, that is so loud and I've never heard anything like it. Plus, I noticed the sound wasn't in the bedroom at all and if it was outside I would have heard it in the bedroom too. Finally, I went out to the kitchen and realized it was our coffee grinder! Somehow it had just turned on, and it was empty so it was really loud! I ran and unplugged it, wondering if my neighbors thought the fire alarm was going off.
Dylan came home and his mom was with him. We got ready and headed over to the Village for Tiger's show, which was titled "Open/Closed: Photography by Tiger Munson." Since I had helped out for the past three days, and because Tiger is such a good friend, I got a little frazzled and anxious like it was my own show! But once I got there and saw everything hanging on the wall and gave Tiger the CD players, I was completely relaxed. Everything looked so great and so many people showed up! I was very proud of Tiger and I was happy that I helped out in some small way.
It turned out to be the first time that Brandon, Angie, Amy and AJ were all at the same place and the same time together. It's been over 2 years since the breakup and everyone seems much happier now so I don't think anyone was really worried that something would happen. As it turned out, Amy just went right up to Angie and politely said "hi" which I was very proud of her for doing. It ended up being such a fun night and I got to visit with so many people. Tiger seemed very happy with the turnout, too.
We left there shortly after 9:30 and Robin left with Amy, AJ and Kristahn but apparently that didn't work out because she called from the front porch just a few minutes after we got home. I was bad and got Del Taco on the way home so we were eating that and we watched "Community," "30 Rock," and the first episode of the brand new season of "The Sarah Silverman Program." Gee, we sure do watch a lot of TV. I went to bed right after that cause I was so tired and more than a little tipsy from the wine at Tiger's show.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 35
Huey Lewis and the News - "Sports" Vinyl Album. Knowing that I don't care that much for Huey Lewis and the News, I'm don't know how I ended up with this album. According to Wikipedia, it was their biggest record, and contains the singles "The Heart of Rock and Roll," "If This Is It," and "I Want a New Drug"; all big radio hits but not songs that I would ever really play on purpose. I probably bought this when I was DJ'ing and I would indiscriminately pick up and 80's album I recognized regardless of whether or not I really thought it would ever come in handy.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Glad everything went well at Tiger's show, wish I could see some of the work he was showing!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!