Sunday Funday

Today was so much fun!
My alarm went off at 8:40 and I was so dreading getting up, when I realized I had tricked myself and set the alarm an hour earlier than I need to. So, I set it for 9:40 and went back to sleep.
We got up and around quickly because we were going to lunch with my long-lost cousin Lisa. She's not actually long-lost anymore cause we have hung out a couple times now but both times she had come to West Hollywood and met us, and then we went out to eat. This time, we were going to her neighborhood. Brandon and Angie came and met us and then I drove all of us to Santa Monica to Lisa's house. She was outside talking to the landlord when we pulled up, so we just got out and did hugs and greetings and then we hopped in her Honda Element and went to La Grande Orange which she had picked. It ended up being a terrific choice! Brunch spots in LA are kind of tricky, cause you want to get a place that's got a good vibe and is busy but not overcrowded which tends to be a real delicate balance. Oh, and it should be yummy and reasonably priced of course, although those factors seem to come second and third to most people who really just want to go to the trendiest place. The food at La Grande Orange was amazing and very reasonably price. For $16 I got a delicious bloody mary, an Acapulco Omelette (it had two different cheeses, avocado, tomatoes and jalapeno) and a blueberry whole-wheat bar that was so tasty! But the best part was when we saw Bill (Steven Moyer) from True Blood, which is a a show we all love. Then, his girlfriend on the show and in real life, "Sookie" (Anna Paquin) walked in and ended up sitting at the table right next to us while Steven went and did something else. When he came back they ended up moving to a more secluded table, which we were bummed out about but it was probably for the best as we were all pretty starstruck and most likely would have sat there in silence trying to overhear their conversation had they stayed.
After brunch, we walked down to the beach and took some photos. On the way home, Lisa took us by her work which is in a cute little bungalow by Santa Monica college.
Angie, Brandon, Dylan and I got in my car to head back but we stopped at Record Surplus on the way since it was right by Lisa's. It's this great record store which used to be one of the biggest ones before Amoeba. I used to go there a lot on my way home from work when I lived in Winnetka and commuted to Culver City every day; it was a great way to kill some time and avoid rush hour on the 405. It's got an upstairs called "the attic" where they have really cheap records and tapes. A lot of the stuff is junk but every now and then you find a jewel. I was on a mission to find some 45s and boy did I ever! I got a stack of about 15 of them, mainly 80's stuff. Most of them had b-sides that I hadn't heard, although a few I just got for the picture sleeve (I never buy 45's unless they have a picture sleeve). Some of the ones I was happiest to grab were Corey Hart's "It Ain't Enough", Weird Al's "King of Suede," and Eighth Wonder's "Cross My Heart."
Back home, we watched the movie "Charlie Bartlett" which Brandon and Angie had brought. It was really fun. I had wanted to see it back when it came out but the reviews weren't great, and then it just slipped by me. I was so glad they brought it cause I really enjoyed it. Anton Yelchin and Robert Downey Jr. were both terrific, and Tyler Hilton was really hot it in. It had sort of a fantasy element to it and also a lot of comedy.
They left after the movie, but Luther had been texting and saying he wanted to hang out since I was already planning to go meet Brad to show him the video. So, he came over and we walked down to boystown. It was cold and windy out but we decided to brave it and walk anyway. We stopped and got some food at Subway but put it in my bag so we could go find Brad and Alf first. They were at Trunks so we had one drink there, saw the end of the Superbowl, and then walked up to their place with them to watch the video and eat our sandwiches. I was so happy with their reaction, Brad really seemed to love it, but Alf was even more complimentary which was good cause I was afraid he wouldn't like it. We had another drink there and watched the video once more before heading back down to the Blvd.
On the way we ran into Eddie's sister, Edginia, who lives down the street from them. She was walking her dog and told us that Eddie had just left her place to go to Trunks. When we walked by her apartment, Brad yelled something to the people inside and they came out; there was a girl named Arielle and a cute guy named James who was wearing a hoodie with the Cookie Party logo from the Sarah Silverman Program, which I excitedly pointed out. We chatted with them for a moment, and James decided to go with us to Trunks to meet up with Eddie, so we all went there. Eddie said he had just moved to WeHo, which I was happy about since now I'll probably see him a lot more often. Alf bought us all drinks and we hung out there for awhile and then decided to move on to Mickey's, with a stopover at East West to see if me and Luther's boot camp buddy, David, was working. It turned out that he was working and his boyfriend Matt and their friend Jose, who are both also in boot camp, were hanging out there so we went and sat with them.
It turned out that James works on the Sarah Silverman show and so we talked about that for awhile. We were all having a good time. Brad and Alf had sort of disappeared but we saw them again at some point and then eventually we decided to move on to Mickey's and I had a drink there too, and Luther, James and I ended up dancing for a little while. It was only the 2nd time I'd been to Mickey's since the fire, and the first time I had actually danced there in ages.
Finally, Luther and I decided to head home. We stopped at Yogurt Stop on the way and I had "I'm Coming Out Cake Batter" and "Peanut Butter Princess" yogurt. It was yummy but a tad too sweet, even for me, Mr. Sweet-tooth!
When I got home, Dylan was watching TV so I just got on the computer and then ended up going to bed pretty soon after since it was already after 11pm by that point.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 38
Carbon brand black denim jeans. I bought these in Hays, KS at Rue 21 in The Mall. Whenever I'm in Hays I try to get to the mall and go to this store cause they have really inexpensive clothes that are actually pretty neat. I got these jeans there a few years ago and wore the heck out of 'em, so much so that they eventually got a little hole in the crotch area that unfortunately grew to a huge gap. I thought I had thrown them away already, but going through my closet today, found them on the bottom of my jeans pile. In the trash they go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!