Hunting High and Low

I slept in pretty late and when I woke up I went from zero to stressed out in about 4 seconds. Dylan's phone, which is a Palm Pre, wasn't working and whenever it's not working, or it's temporarily lost, I get really on edge which is stupid but it's just the situation. Dylan tends to get really stressed out about his phone a lot which makes me stress about it even more. I got online and tried some quick fixes for it but nothing was working. In the meantime, Robin was needing to go to the Subway and was also asking me questions that I didn't know the answers to while I was trying to fix the phone, which I ended up just giving up on. Finally, we all got ready and took Robin to the subway; when we were near I asked if Dylan was going to get out and show her where to go exactly since she had never been to that station before. They got out of the car right there even though I wasn't meaning to drop them off there since we were still over a block away from the station. I told Dylan I'd circle the block and pick him back up at Coffee Bean, but then I decided I wanted to have lunch so I went and parked at the shopping center where our gym is.
I walked down Hollywood Blvd. and found Dylan at the coffee bean so then we went to eat at Sandella's Flatbread, which was really good the first time I had it but this time I noticed it's kind of overpriced for the small portions you get. I paid almost $10 for a very thin wrap, chips, and a soda.
After that we went to Amoeba to trade in the crate of vinyl that has been sitting in our living room for weeks. They ended up only taking a little over half of them, and offered us $16 cash or $22 store credit, so we took the credit and bought some records and kept the receipt with the leftover credit (we only spent a few bucks; I got a Toni Basil 7", the Re-Flex album "Politics of Dancing" and Annabella Lwin's solo album).
Then we went to my office to get a couple of computer monitors that have been sitting in there forever taking up space. They were from when I first started working there, and since that time I got a flat screen, and then eventually a laptop. There was a electronic waste recycling event at Fairfax High School this weekend so that's why I finally got those old monitors out of my office; we took them to the high school and it was so easy to just drive in and they took them from us and I gave them my name and address. So easy!
Back home, I finished Brad's video finally which was a relief. I worked more on my "Hunters of the Night" cover and we caught up on some of our DVR'ed shows.
Marc bought 4 tickets for the A-ha show at Club Nokia on May 15; they ended up being $50 each which was sort of more than Dylan and I really wanted to pay but it was easier than waiting for Monday and driving downtown to get our own tickets, plus we'll be going with Marc and Luther so that will be fun. A-ha is most famous for their video "Take On Me" which has been a huge influence on me - I vividly remember the first time I saw it on MTV and we were all just transfixed by it. I really got into them later, after I had moved to LA. I used to go to Virgin Megastore all the time back then, either by myself or with Brandon or Ben; sometimes a whole group. I could spend so much time in there just browsing and eventually buying a CD or three. This was way before I ever met Marc, although I'm sure our paths had to have crossed many times in there. It was the first time I had ever been to a music shop with a huge import section where new releases from other countries were featured so prominently. I didn't even know that A-ha and Kylie were still around, yet at Virgin their new releases were displayed on the import racks, along with John Taylor's solo album and the new Culture Club album. A-ha's "Minor Earth | Major Sky" was one of the first import CDs I bought there and has remained one of my favorite albums to this day; it's just brilliant. After that, I picked up their greatest hits and then started collecting their catalog. I don't have all their albums but I do have a majority of them either on vinyl or CD. I have a really fond memory of being at Amy's mom's house in Albuquerque once when we were playing the Gay Pride there and we were swimming in their pool and it reminded me of being young and swimming and hearing "Take On Me" on the radio. And it made me want to get that album, "Hunting High and Low" again since I had only ever had in on Cassette when I was a kid and lost it at some point. Well, we ended up walking over to the "Family Thrift Store" and I had like a psychic vision that that album would be there, and it was!
Eventually I had to get ready for the Shitting Glitter gig which was in Redondo Beach. We weren't going on until 11, so I didn't even load the car up until after 8pm. We went and picked Marc up and headed down there just a little before 9. We ended up getting sort of lost because the directions said to turn right off of PCH onto Catalina, but we never saw a sign for Catalina. We had to stop and ask for directions, but the girl who we asked said she had lived there all her live and never heard of Kegs or International Boardwalk (which was the address we had). Well, she must not get out too much because it only took us a little while before we finally got on the right track and found the parking structure for the boardwalk and then the bar. It was a really cute little place, right on the water with boats all lined up. The bartender was so nice. He had little plastic cups with lids on them with each of our names on them already, and they all had 4 drink tokens. He also said we could order an appetizer and a pizza for free! The band before us, Chachi, was really good and they are the ones who asked us to play. The lead singer, Rich, is a friend of AJ's that she met at the fish and chips place by her house that I've heard so much about but still haven't been to. Anyway, the night was really, really fun. We played the same set that we did at Club Squeeze, but when we were done people were asking for "one more" so we did Mondo di Corpo. I hope we can get a few more songs worked up soon.
The drive home was OK. I played Marc a couple of my songs, he hadn't heard "Tape" yet and he said he really liked it.
I ended up watching an episode of "Fear Itself" called "The Circle" but it wasn't very good so I was glad I didn't make anyone else watch it. I was actually really surprised that I didn't fall asleep during it.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 37
Shitting Glitter yellow tank top with purple graphic, circa 2002. This used to be one of my favorite shirts. It was a yellowish women's tank top that I got somewhere and made an iron-on from the purple bar-code graphic on our website at the time, with individual photos of me, Denny, Amy and Von with bar codes over them, and the band name in the original font. I still love this shirt, but it doesn't fit me and it's more of a relic than something I would actually wear. I think it would look good on Amy so I will try to give it to her first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!