The G80's

I just love sleeping in on Saturdays, especially when I don't have anything I have to do!
Last night, Dylan had said he was going to make chocolate chip/almond pancakes when we got home, which didn't end up happening, but it caused me to wake up with a hankerin' for them. So, I got up and immediately set to work in the kitchen. I used the last of the Icelandic chocolate chunks that Kolbrun had sent, mixing them in with the pancake batter, as well as some Trader Joe's Almond Extract and sliced almonds. I made 4 pancakes and left them in the oven to stay warm, while I made some breakfast burritos. But these burritos were special - I put bacon, fresh grated cheddar, tomatoes and fresh salsa in them, and then fried the wrapped burritos in the pan with some butter. Yum!!! It was one of the best brunches I have ever made! With the pineapple coconut syrup we had brought back from Hawaii, the pancakes were almost too rich... well, almost!
After brunch, I started working on the computer. I've been trying to clean some old projects off my hard drive so I can move on to new projects. I have had "Shitting Glitter at LA Pride 2007" on my hard drive for 2 and a half years now so I figured it was just time to finish it. There were several reasons this project had been languishing unfinished for so long now, but once I sat down and started working on it, it was very easy. The initial problem was that I had two different source tapes; one was SVHS that Peggy Hannon had taped for us, and the other was digital video from Dylan's camera, which Myles' cousin Brian had taped since Myles was not available that day (he was busy DJ'ing). The audio was great from the SVHS source but the picture was much better from the digital video. For some reason, I hadn't been able to grasp how to edit this before, but it became very obvious all of a sudden: I just used the video and audio from the SVHS tape, but then I took the video from the digital source and moved it right next to the end of each song. So, I would listen to a line in the song, and then find that line in the digital clip, copy and paste the video over the SVHS clip, using the beat of the song to match it. It ended up being so easy, and had the effect of looking almost like a professional, multi-camera production!
We met Amy and AJ at El Coyote for dinner and drinks on the patio. Amy loves El Coyote and I was surprised she was ready to go out somewhere after having her surgery on Thursday. She had to wear a sling and she was a little funny on the pain pills but otherwise she was in good spirits. I had 2 ostrich tacos and 2 scratch margaritas... yum!
When we got back home, the DVD of Pride '07 was almost done burning, so I took a shower and got dressed and by the time I was done, the DVD was ready so we watched it. It was kind of fun to watch. It was our first show with Alexa as our drummer and it was on a big stage, but it was kind of bittersweet.
Later, Brandon, Angie and Marc came over and we got ready to go down to Roosterfish in Venice where the G80's were playing! They are a spin-off group of the Gay-Gays (the gay Go-Go's tribute band) so my friends Matty and Chris were playing 80's covers. A lot of the songs were pretty obscure and I must admit even Marc and I didn't know a couple of them. But then they started playing more familiar tunes. It was a ton of fun. When they did their "name that tune" contest they pulled me up and the drummer started playing "My Sharona" which I yelled out right away, winning a Billy Idol "best of" CD.
Afterwards, we went back home and decided to have an after hours at our apartment. Luther, Jason and Viktor came over from Fubar and we played records and talked for quite awhile. We had some entertainment in the form of really drunk girls outside who were yelling and falling out of their car, it was very strange.
Brandon and Angie ended up spending the night; we blew up our brand new air mattress that Dylan had bought to replace the old one.

Hello 2010, goodbye junk!
NEW YEARS RESOLUTION LOG ENTRY 50
"Don't Mess with Doctor Dream" Thompson Twins 12" single - This is the last of the duplicate TT records I got rid of this week. I had two identical copies of this record for some reason. I do have a funny story behind this song. In 8th grade, Ms. Elbracht let us form into groups and film music videos to our favorite songs in music class. Me, Tonya Berry and Angie Dewey decided to work together and I picked out this song to do our video to. I didn't have the lyrics (they weren't printed in the cassette) and being long before the internet, I had no way to find them so all I could do was type up what I 'thought' they were saying. Oddly enough, I never have until this day bothered to actually look up the correct lyrics! Being that this song was about heroin (it was actually an anti-drug song) I guess it's no wonder that I didn't get half of the lyrics at that young age, but even today they don't really make sense to me. I guess they used a lot of slang terms for heroin use in there, but some of them might have been more UK references. Anyway I remember that I wanted to use this purple blanket for the background and as usual when I was a kid, I forgot to bring it the day of the shoot so I had to call my mom at home and have her bring it to school for me. I'd LOVE to see that video today but I doubt anyone still knows where it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!