The Traitors, Acoustic

It was quite the big day for me, again, in a year filled with big days!
To start off, I did some holiday shopping to take my mind of things and to get ready for the holidays, something I hadn't been doing much of yet. I went to 99 cents store and got some little things and drove around to a few other places, finally getting to Guitar Center so I could pick up some percussion instruments for the show and guitar picks for Brandon. I ended up getting these little black maracas and a cool small jingly tambourine thing, that looks like a ninja star and can also be mounted on a high-hat cymbal, which will be cool for Invisible Material I think.
Dylan and I then got ready and were the first of our crew to arrive at Cafe Muse, closely followed by Rick and Melodie, then Brandon and Angie, Elene, Marc, Kalil and his crew, and Rafael. I'm trying to not leave anyone out but I'm sure I did; needless to say, I was so happy with everyone that came out. The Ukulady and the Evil Sandwiches were performing with us and a bunch of their friends were there too so it ended up being a really great night.
We played first, shortly after 9pm, opening with "Get Outta My Way" which seemed to go really well except for the fact that my microphone stand didn't reach me and I had to lean over my keyboard to sing into it. After the first song, I switched mic stands with Brandon.
The rest of the set went pretty well, but during "Edge of Forever," sweat started dripping into my eyes and stinging them, which made my eyes water, which made it look like I was crying. I couldn't do anything about it, so I figured if people thought I was just being a sensitive, over-emotional musician, then so be it, but when the song was over I wiped my eyes and let everyone know that I wasn't having any sort of breakdown or whatever.
Elene and I switched places so I could play "Winnipeg Beach" on the piano and I didn't notice until later that I had forgot to switch the sound patch on my keyboard, so Elene was playing the marimba setting I had for "Edge of Forever" instead of the strings. I remedied this for the next song, "Hey Citizen," so that sounded really good.
I decided to skip some songs that were on the playlist, "Alien Nation," because it just gets too complicated in the end, and "Ordinary World" because we hadn't really all had enough time to practice that one together.
We closed with two holiday songs, first was "Last Christmas" by Wham, which I promptly forgot the words to during the first verse, causing laughter and then a restart. It worked much better the second time around, and by the last chorus everyone was singing along, which was the whole point. The last song was "Fruitcake" by the Superions which everyone loved - it was a hit!
After us, Ukulady performed and it was a different side to her, still wacky and quirky but warmer and more personal than I've seen her before; I really enjoyed it and it seemed everyone else did as well.
After the show, Dylan and I went and met Marc at Blender and hung out there until closing time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!