Shitting Glitter at Lucky Strike

There was an event today for Michael’s Village, a new permanent supportive housing facility in Hollywood which is going to be for chronically homeless, mentally ill people. It’s a great project and the celebration was really nice. My boss was one of the speakers and she did a great job, and we even got to hear from Michael, for who the place is named after, and his mother who flew in from New Mexico for the event. It’s definitely a step in the right direction for ending homelessness in Hollywood. After we got back from the event, I went out and took photos and did my “What do you Think” survey for the Sunset/Vine newsletter, which is turning into one of my favorite things that I get to do at work. I went to Golden Bridge Yoga, K & L Wine Merchants, and The Waffle to interview people for it. Then I went back to the office and finished the Sunset newsletter. Then I went home and very quickly arranged synth-string parts for Elene to play on “Winnipeg Beach” and “Ordinary World” which came out of the printer just in time for me to run out the door to rehearsal. For the second night in a row, I was at Cascade studios in Hollywood, but this time with the Traitors in the big showcase room because that was the only one that had a real piano. Elene wanted to rehearse on a real piano since that’s what will be at Cafe Muse on Saturday for our acoustic show, but it was a mistake trying to rehearse acoustically in there. For one thing, the band next door was so loud that they bled through the walls. Also, the room was so big, Angie was like 20 feet away from Elene, and it just felt and sounded disjointed as a result. I think it freaked all of us out, and after we had sounded so good on Saturday. Hopefully Friday’s rehearsal at Elene’s will go better. We finished at 10pm and I quickly headed up to Hollywood & Highland to see Shitting Glitter play at Lucky Strike. It was my first time seeing them since I left the band and I was a little nervous about it, but I was happy that they were playing in the Hollywood Entertainment District so I had to go. I’m glad I did, because it was really fun to see them and I really think they sound and look better without me. I mean, there was a time when I thought we had gotten really good as an electro-pop trio, and certainly we were at the top of our game back in early 2008 when we won Battle of the Bands at Girlbar. But, all things must change, and after that things went in to disarray that we never fully recovered from, with so many lineup changes and things going on. Now it seems they have gotten their groove back and I couldn’t be happier for them. Of course a little part of me wished I was on stage with them, but I did really enjoy getting to see them from the audience and knowing that I had played a huge role in the band even if I have moved on now.

Comments

Scarlet said…
I'm glad to hear you put it in perspective like you did, I would have expected it to be difficult for you but I still think you did the right thing. I am happy for SG but I am so glad you can work with Brandon again or do your own thing.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!