R.I.P. Heather

At work, I had my Marketing Committee/Restaurant Meeting with Cirque du Soleil today, and I thought it was a huge success! The whole table in the conference room was full, and lots of the restaurant operators showed up. The people from Cirque had a lot of information, and seemed really excited to be part of Hollywood and to work with all the existing businesses in the district.
I got some really sad news in the afternoon, I learned through facebook that a good friend of mine had passed away. Heather Mercer, from the band Three Chord Whore, who we had played many shows with and had stayed at her and Shantell's house several times up in Bakersfield, is gone. I didn't really get any more information than that, just that something happened over the weekend, it didn't sound good. I was so sad. I had to tell Amy right away, which I felt horrible doing through IM, but I wanted her to know right away.
Heather was such a great person, I liked her from the minute we met, which was several years ago at a show we both played, at Zen Sushi in Silverlake. She was the guitar player and she was really pretty and sweet. Whenever we stayed at their house, she was always so welcoming and friendly. When her and Shantell filled in as part-time members of Shitting Glitter for our shows at Sacramento Pride and San Francisco Pride, I really got to work with her on music, teaching her all of our songs. I saw a side to her that I hadn't seen before, which was softer and more insecure than I had seen from her stage persona. She said she was having a rough time trying to figure out how to play our songs because our style was so different from her usual playing style, which was much more hard rock. I think we were able to come up with parts that worked for her, but also sounded great with the Shitting Glitter sound, it was much harder sounding but we we able to create parts that complimented the tracks. I had so much fun playing those two shows with her on guitar.
At home, I decided to throw myself into music work, and I ended up finishing the mix for "Not in a Million Years" and I got a lot of work done on the other unfinished tracks.

Comments

Scarlet said…
What a wonderful tribute to Heather, Devin. So sorry about the loss of your friend, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!