Happy Birthday, Dad!

Happy birthday to my father! I often forget to send a card but I always make sure to call him. I waited for later in the day, and by then he was at a steakhouse with mom, waiting for Adrienne to arrive, so I’m sure he was having a good birthday.
At work, I had a meeting with some people from a French TV show who wanted to film our security officers in Hollywood. Kerry was out of the office so I just tried to get all the information taken down, but they wanted to ride with the officers which I’m not really sure if that is something we can allow.
The first new photos of the Human League were posted online today! There is a closeup of Phil, Joanne and Susan with a black background and a white streak of lights going through them. It’s really cool and so 2010! There were also a few other “behind the scenes” photos that surfaced on a makeup artist’s blog who worked on the shoot, showing that there are other photos from the session that haven’t been released yet and giving an exclusive perspective of the photo shoot process.
Onnalee posted a new article about Paradise from the Salina Journal today on the Paradise Educated blog. It’s a little piece about the annual church Bazaar and Dinner for the opening day of pheasant season, which is always a huge day around Paradise. I remember it very well from childhood - we just referred to it as “the bazaar” and we all knew what that meant. Lots of people from out of the area would come to go hunting with friends and relatives, and they would all take a break to go eat at the church. All the ladies would cook for the dinner (they call the noon meal “dinner” back in rural Kansas, and “supper” is what they eat in the evening) and make crafts to sll (mainly to the other women) at the bazaar. There was also always this room that had little trinkets and do-dads, which if I remember correctly, was a fundraiser for the youth group, and I always liked that store the best. I even worked in there a couple years or so as a volunteer. Even though I’m an atheist and I despise most modern religion, I still have such fond memories of the Paradise United Methodist Church and events like the bazaar. It was such a supportive, hard working, loyal and honest community of people that it really felt like one really big family. I love those traditions and it really burns me up that right-wingers have tried to own the words “traditional” and “conservative” when I myself have many traditions that I love to uphold (including family traditions - see, I have family values even if they are not the same as what is generally meant by “family values”) and I’m conservative although I would never use that word to describe myself because of the connotations. But, it’s not like I’m some wasteful, excessive person who just thinks I can use however much of whatever I want with no regard to the environment or other people. Heck, I even won a conservation poster contest when I was a kid. Ok, so I know that’s not the same thing. Also, I don’t think I won...

Comments

Scarlet said…
Thanks for posting, i'll see that Glen reads it!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!