Valentine's, Violence, Victory, Vacation, and a Vivacious Vixen

Wow!!! When formulating this title, so many "v" words came to mind, but I had no idea I'd end up using 6 of them! I should have used 7 since there is a "v" in "seven" but that would just be overdoing it. To break it down, I'll go word-by-word:

VALENTINES: I'm a holiday person, what can I say. Whenever a holiday approaches, my mind automatically reverts back to elementary school days, when our teacher would lovingly create some bulleting board featuring cardboard cut-out decorations symbolizing whatever special day was drawing near. Thinking of this makes me feel good, because I know my mom continues to make scholastic bulletin boards to this day. Valentine's Day is usually one of my favorite days, even back when I was single, if only because of the flowers and chocolate. It's a pretty holiday, and has nothing to do with religion, and is meant to celebrate Love - so what's not to like? However, that part about LA Valentine's that I DON'T like are the "prix fixe", the crowds, and the expectations of a penultimate romantic experience when crammed into a tiny table 2 inches away from 4 other couple desperately trying to have an amorous meal. This year I decided to do something different. A running joke in our apartment involves me, whenever I'm making italian food, to refer to our dining room as "MAMMA DEVIN'S ITALIAN KITCHEN" in my best (read: worst) possible sicilian accent. I decided for V-Day to prepare an authentic french meal, so as such, I renamed my home restaurant "Mere Devi's Bistro". I decorated the table with a red table cloth, heart-shaped candles, foil wrapped chocolates, and a centerpiece of carnations and roses. (I'd include a photo, however they're still on the film in the camera - yes, I'm going back to the analog way of cameras). The menu, which I printed on translucent paper and made to look like a real bistro's menu, consisted of Brittany Soup, Coq a Vin (Chicken in Wine), and some pastries and cheeses. It was delicious! But, I was running REALLY short on time, and I can't even believe that I finished the whole mean (we did have to leave desert for later) in time for the 8:00 show for which I had bought tickets for as a valentine's surprise gift. Which brings us to:

VIOLENCE: The play was titled "Dickie and Babe: The Truth about Leopold and Loeb" and I had been wanting to see it for a long time, having known about it because a good acquantance/friend of mine, Daniel Henning, was the writer and director. The play was taking place right in the heart of the Media District on Theatre Row, and I had talked to Dylan about it before so I knew he would like to see it. I also gave Amy the idea and she bought tickets for her and Brandon, also as a surprise. The show was amazing and we all enjoyed it immensely. For those who don't know, Leopold and Loeb were "thrill killers" who kidnapped and murdered a 14 year old back in the 20's. They also had a very odd relationship which involved codependence and homosexuality. The play was amazing and it was such a perfect Valentine's Date!

VICTORY: The next day was Friday, Feb 15 and it was a day we had been anxiously awaiting; we would be performing at Ultra Suede's Girl Bar night, for a "Battle of the Bands" called "Girl Rock" competing against two other bands. We were not really planning on winning, but we were excited about the possibility. I went shopping during the day and got a funny black leather vest with a US flag on the back and the letters "USA" at the top of the flag. I also went to the special store and got a bunch of accessories including some black and white checkered gloves without fingertips, and a ring with a bejewelled iguana. We did a sound check before the show, then went home to get ready. When we returned, there were already a lot of friends and fans of ours there, and more kept coming! We felt pretty good by the time we got on stage and delivered a really great set along with our drummer, Alexa, and our two dancers. It was a really great feeling and at that point I wasn't even concerned about winning or losing. Later, after Corday played (she wasn't competing, she was sort of hosting the event), she announced the winner - Shitting Glitter! We were all ecstatic, hugging each other and screaming. I even called my mom and woke her up at like 1:30am Kansas time to tell her we won! It was quite the night.

VACATION: Dylan and I had been talking about a trip to Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, specifically the beachside town of Playa del Carmen, for awhile. After the excitement of Friday night, I was really ready to have something relaxing and exotic to look forward to, so after finding rediculously cheap round-trip airfare, we decided to go ahead and buy the tickets! We still haven't planned our accomodations or anything else, but we're both experienced travelers and I'm sure we will have an amazing time no matter what. Right now, we're thinking of staying in a hostel for the first few days to save some money, and then getting a nice hotel room for the last half of the stay.

A VIVACIOUS VIXEN: Monday night ended the three-day weekend with a BANG! Six of us - Me, Dylan, Marc, Angie, Myles, and Luther - had gotten tickets to see Siouxsie on her "Mantaray and More" tour at the House of Blues Anaheim. She played the Henry Fonda Music Box in Hollywood which is much closer, but one night was the Friday we were doing Battle of the Bands, and the next night was sold out before we could get tickets. We were all very pleased to discover that tickets were not only available but also cheaper at HOB Anaheim - which is also a smaller venue and one that I've made the trek to several times before just because it's worth it! Free parking (unlike most places in LA) and a crowd that USUALLY lets you get to the front easily (this time we were closer to the back - the crowd was pretty ravenous!) I have been a fan of Siouxsie and the Banshees for a very long time (see previous Blog entry "How I Fell in Love with: Siouxsie and the Banshees") and had only seen Siouxsie perform once before, at the KROW Inland Invasion, which for many reasons was not a great experience. I love Siouxsie's recent solo album so I thought I would like this show more, but I was unprepared by just how amazing she would be!!! The had the vitality and energy of a twenty year old, kicking her legs up in the air, jumping around, and generally being the mad woman we know and love! Her voice sounded amazing - I was truly impressed - and her presence was just awesome. It was a great set, and a great way to end President's Day weekend.

Comments

Scarlet said…
Sorry I forgot to reply to this blog the first day I read it. I have since revisited and wanted to tell you I enjoyed reading about your special valentines meal and I'm happy you get to go to Mexico.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!