Don't leave me this way... OK fine, go ahead

This has been a sort of rough week. This morning, my friend (dare I say one of my favorites) left for a new chapter in his life, in Portland Oregon. I had only been hanging out with Kevin for the past 8 months or so, although I have known him for a few years. I'm sure he will have a great life in Portland, and I'm sure I'll be fine here in LA, but it always sucks when someone you enjoy spending time with moves away and you can no longer spend much time with them.
Tomorrow morning, my friends Von and Jessica are moving to start a new chapter in their lives, in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Von and I go WAY back. I remember in the infancy of my LA life, I would go to gay bars in the San Fernando Valley for the various Karaoke nights and I would notice the two lesbians that would sing, then write in their journals, draw pictures on napkins, and sing again. Amy was the outgoing, wacky one with short blond hair and a strong, melodic voice, and Yvonne was the quiet, reserved one who seemed very serious and looked almost like a cute boy. Eventually we became friends after being at the same karaoke nights so often, and within a few months we had formed the band Shitting Glitter. Von and I became really close over the course of our time in the band together, but I must admit that after she and Amy broke up and Von moved out on her own is when Von really blossomed into an amazing, independent, outspoken and unique individual. Later she met Jessica and they began dating, living in a great old craftsman bungalow in East Hollywood and then moving to West Hollywood just down the street from Dylan and I a couple of years ago.
Now, they have decided to head to Santa Fe where they can be more creative, less confined and more in touch with nature. At least that's my interpretation of it. I wish them the best, although I will miss them immensely.
Many difficult things have been happening in my life, ranging from the slightly trivial but still saddening, to earth-changing devastating events for some friends of mine, and everything in between. I guess part of growing up is that the issues that start surrounding your life become much more serious and close to home. Sometimes so many things can hit at once and overwhelmed is not even close to being an adequate adjective for how you feel.
But then sometimes you can pick up on something, maybe even something you weren't supposed to know or be privy too. The other day I was driving and saw a friend on the sidewalk, smiling, the sun shining down onto the sidewalk, and I noticed my furrowed brow in the rear view mirror of my car relaxed, and I began to smile and feel less concerned about everything. Just a smile that I wasn't even meant to see... it had such a big impact on me. It made me feel that everything would, in fact, be OK.

On another note, I am trying to bury my head in the sand when it comes to politics, because it's just too depressing. If I had known the dirty tactics and hatefulness that would come with having a democratic president, maybe I would have just voted for McCain. Ha! Ok, not really, but it just hurts my feelings personally to hear all this hate directed towards our president. Sure, I hated Bush with a passion, but that was because he encouraged intolerance towards gays, lied about starting a war that ate up trillions of taxpayer dollars and left many dead, and was just in general not a very bright or charismatic guy. And even then, I didn't go yelling at town hall meetings or posting death wishes on the "internets". All this hatred towards Obama is just sickening. I guess there are really just two basic types of people in this country and for the most part we can not see eye to eye. It's just sad.

Comments

Scarlet said…
We both read your blog this morning, I feel sad for you that your friends are leaving and it is hard. Except for you and Brandon leaving us, we have always been the ones to do the leaving and some of our family and friends don't let us forget how hard it has been for them.
As for the other part of your blog, remember...mean people suck!
von said…
devin you're a doll! i can't wait for you to visit in santa fe so we can spend quality creative time together again! you've been an inspiration to me to keep being creative, and in my new chapter of this life, creativity is at the forefront again, so thank you thank you thank you! and keep inspiring...

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!