Living like a Teenager: Day 1


Since having turned 30, I've noticed a disturbing trend. OK, so it didn't necessarily start after I turned 30 and it really doesn't have anything to do with that, but lately I find myself confined to the couch/tv routine by 9pm most every night. I don't think I have to explain why that's troubling to me. So, last week I made a goal: to go out every single night one week, just to prove I could do it. My sister thinks this is a silly goal, and I agree, but it's something I need to do.
I started my week of living like I'm still a teenager by going out to Mustache Mondays, a club downtown at Charlie O's that I've been hearing a lot about. I used to have a love affair with Downtown LA and for a time I was trying to start my own crusade to make it the "happening" place. Maybe I wasn't so successful, and after moving to West Hollywood kind of abandoned that idea altogether. However I still love downtown and so I had been wanting to go to this club for awhile. Plus, I think my band's song "Mustache Rides 5¢" would be perfect for the club!
My friend Luther picked me up and then we went to North Hollywood to pick up DJ Raw-burt and we headed downtown. The recent rains had cleared all the smog out of the sky so as soon as we came over the Cahuenga Pass on the 101 freeway, the skyscrapers came into view and their windows glistened like millions of little jewels. It was breathtaking! Within about 10 minutes we were downtown. We went to our friend Sean's apartment. He's in a band called Exhibition. I've only met him once before but he is a nice guy and I like his music a lot. His loft is really amazing and I loved the view out his window; you can see a bunch of people in their apartments across the street which is fun.
After awhile we walked just down the street to the club. It was already pretty full but it got even more packed within an hour or so. After midnight there was a performance by Sir Heffington and the Fingered Dancers that was really good. I drank too much but it was all good fun, I ended up dancing and talking and having a blast.
The bar closed so we ended up out on the sidewalk talking to people and finally we left and drove back to WeHo but stopped at what Luther calls "The Gay Burrito" on Vermont and Santa Monica. I think my burrito was good but I really don't remember. I didn't get home until I guess around 3:30 or so.
Tonight: MJ's in Silverlake!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!