President's Day Weekend

It was an exciting and productive weekend, and I think I made the most of the extra day (President's Day was Monday).
On Friday night, Brandon, Marc and Ben came over and walked down to the $3 theatre with Dylan and I to see Borat. Everyone but Brandon had already seen it once before but we were all excited to see it again. Afterwards, everyone was pretty tired but I wanted something to eat so I walked to 7-11. While I was walking, I called my friend Myles who told me he was going to the Palms because Keoki was DJ'ing there. Even though it was already after 1am I decided to walk down and meeting him, and I'm glad I did cause I actually had a great time, and it was the first chance I'd gotten to hear Keoki spin. (Most people know how obsessed I was with the book and movie "Party Monster" which Keoki was a big part of).
The next day, Dylan and I met Brandon out in Malibu at Hoagie's home, aka Seamonster Sounds, to begin work on Food Drinks Music, the third album by Shitting Glitter. First we listened to an early mix of "Delay" - a b-side for the Slut Buffet single - that Hoagie and Brandon had done a lot of guitar work on. It sounded amazing!!! Very different from the original demo and live version of the song, but very timely sounding and fresh. We also listened to a mix of "Mustache Rides" and came to the conclusion that, rather than just featuring a dance mix by Solar City of that track, we would probably want to include a mix by Hoagie himself, because it was sounding really awesome.
We did some basic work on Mustache Rides, updating some of the tracks and transferring some of the beats directly from the Korg Electribe SX1 (originally we had transferred all the Korg tracks to Brandon's Fostex digital 16 track recorder, and that's how we did the entire Free Alongside Ship album, but it's going to be of much better quality doing it directly now).
Then, we started on the album!!! The first song we laid down tracks for was "The Apple Falls" which is also the first song we ever performed live for this album. Then we moved on to "The Collection" which is done but we've only played it live once I think.
By the time we finished, it was pretty late and we were tired. We had planned on spending the night out in Malibu, but it was actually a pretty full house with Hoagie's sister and her boyfriend visiting, and we decided it would just be easier to drive home.
Sunday was a lazy day; Dylan and I woke up late, had lunch at the French Market, then wasted the day away. That night we went out to Boystown, saw some people we knew at the Motherlode, checked out the new bar Eleven (magnificent Blueberry Martini!!!), and then ended up at the Palms where Myles was DJ'ing.
Monday, Brandon and I went back out to Malibu to continue our recording. We laid down tracks for 4 songs: "Legalese", "Idiot Light", "Now Unthinkable", and "Backyard Wildlife" (tentative title). Near the end of the Idiot Light session, the power went out in Malibu so we took a break for lunch and some chit-chat. About an hour later it came back on so we continued working, finishing up by recording some MIDI keyboard parts on Mustache Rides, including the original piano line from the album version. It would be really cool to tie that into the new version, so that it could kind of be the 'definitive' recording of Mustache Rides. I'm completely thrilled with the way the recording is going for the new tracks and I can already tell that it's going to be such a more complex, sophisiticated and enjoyable album. It's going to be rich and undeniable.
We made it home around 11pm and Dylan had cooked dinner for me, which was great cause I was really hungry!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!