Forever Young

I have been shamed into blogging today, since both my brother and sister have already done so. I realize I have written considerably less lately than I had been doing previously; I guess I was "on a roll" so to speak for a short while and now I'm back to my usual sporadic ways.
This weekend was full of ups and downs, the biggest down being that I attended the memorial service of my coworker who died tragically in a motorcycle accident on January 25. I had only known him for a few months but I got along with him very well, and I was with him just before it happened. The service was very emotional and difficult for everyone involved. He was only 34 and by all accounts was a very carefree, gentle, happy and optimistic person. We need more people like him in the world, not less.
Since moving to Los Angeles, I've known five people close to me who have passed on. Both my fathers parents, my friend Rex, Robert (who was Dylan's mom's boyfriend), and now Alex. Out of those, the service on Saturday was only the second one I attended.
Later that night I bought a bottle of Sky Vanilla vodka and made cocktails for myself and some friends (Marc and Ben came over). We went out to MJ's in Silverlake and although we weren't thrilled with the music and didn't know hardly anyone there we had a great time and stayed until closing time, then crossed the street for a late-night feast at Burrito King.
Sunday was fun too - walked down the street for lunch in the park and then met up with Marc and Ben again to go to Rock Bar, a new twice-monthly club at Jimmy's Lounge on Santa Monica and El Centro geared towards "bears" and "chubs" as well as "chubchasers." I suppose I do not fall into any of those categories but luckily they were very welcoming and I had a great time, mostly due to the $2 beers and the big-screen Nintendo Game Cube Mario Kart!!! All those hours playing video games with straight guys back in Kansas actually served some purpose as I discovered I was pretty damn good at Mario Kart still, even though I had only played the N64 version previously. I love that game!
Sunday night we watched Desperate Housewives and some of the grammy's, while eating pizza. I also downloaded a "new" Tiffany song, a cover of Alphaville's "Forever Young." A nice way to end a weekend.

Comments

Scarlet said…
I'm probably not a good source of strength in the area of lost loved ones...between the ages of 14-18 I had lost an 8 year old brother, two good high school friends, one in a car accident, the other in Vietnam, and a sometimes boyfriend who was killed in a car accident. I had become accustomed to people I cared about dying...and just as I waited for the other shoe to drop, my father passed away before I turned 24. Because I had felt the magnitude of loss, consider experiencing three children of my own becoming teenagers and young adults, then magnify the fear of loss by a million and no wonder I freak out when someone doesn't wear a seat belt! Our friends and family are precious, thats for sure...and I'm sorry about your friend, Alex...aren't you more fortunate for knowing him.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!