Top 10 Songs of 2019

Life goes on, and even as you get older, some things never change. There were many sentimental moments for me this year, a year that in many ways felt like the world was ending, yet it just kept going. Personally, it was a very big year for my own music. I released my second solo album, "Art Damage," in March, preceded by two singles and videos, "Anyone Can Break Somebody's Heart" which featured the amazing Wendy Ho on lead vocals, with a killer remix done by Scott Anderson, aka Mr. Anderson; and "By My Side" which had an awesome 80's halloween-themed video made by Ravensview Films. I started performing at jam nights around Los Angeles where I met so many talented, cool, and friendly musicians who have become friends. I did a short tour for my album in September which took me to places like Bisbee, Arizona, and my tiny hometown of Paradise, Kansas. I got to play at Hotel Cafe three times - which had been a "bucket list" item, now accomplished! But probably my proudest moment was when my song "Anyone Can Break Somebody's Heart" was actually played on the radio in Los Angeles, complete with an interview with yours truly. I don't know how many people were actually listening, but to be driving down Sunset Boulevard and hearing myself on the actual radio was a very thrilling milestone for me. I have to thank Matty McLaughlin for that, as he did the PR for my album and was able to make that radio appearance happen with his wonderful interview.
Throughout the year, I was inspired by many new artists as well as old favorites - as usual! Without further ado, the top 10 songs of 2019!

Honorable Mentions
"Old Town Road" - Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus - I didn't necessarily love this song, but I certainly liked it, and it was a momentous occasion for Lil Nas X. It will always remind us of 2019.
"On A Roll" - Ashley O" - I can't believe I watched the entire episode of Black Mirror that spawned this song by Miley Cyrus in the guise of fictional pop star Ashley O before I realized it was just a take off of "Head Like A Hole" by Nine Inch Nails. But there, I've admitted it! Regardless, it's a very catchy pop song, and I loved the whole story the episode told.
"You Need to Calm Down" - Taylor Swift - Another song that encapsulated 2019 and was undoubtedly one of the biggest hits of the year. Calling out the bad behavior so many people have online with a catchy beat and a fantastical music video, Taylor Swift had us all asking people, "hey, are you OK?"

10. "High Heels" - Melanie C"
Melanie C has proven to be the solo spice most interested in making music. While the other spices have ranged from the bare minimum (Victoria) to consistent but sporadic output (Emma), "Sporty" has so far released seven albums, some of which have been truly great. This year, Melanie toured with a drag troupe called Sink the Pink and they have collaborated on this fun, club single that just makes you want to kick off your shoes and go dancing. It's nice to hear Melanie having so much fun again, as some of her solo material has been a little on the maudlin side. Hopefully this is just a taste of what's to come with her next full length!

9. "Feels Like Love" - Chrysta Bell 
Chrysta Bell (that's her first name) was one of the biggest surprises to come from the recent reboot of Twin Peaks - my favorite TV show ever. As FBI Tammy Preston, she brought a feminine mystique to the bureau, and had one of the best exchanges of all time with Laura Dern ("fuck you, Tammy!) Aside from being a strong presence on screen, Chrysta Bell is also a very accomplished and creative musician, with her own vision and aesthetic that fits in with the entire Lynchian universe but stands on its own as well. She released her new album this year, and the title track "Feels Like Love" is a standout, but the entire disc is worth a listen for anyone who appreciates music as art.

8. Baby Please Don't Stop" - Emma Bunton
Here we are with another Spice Girl, this time the artist formerly known as Baby Spice. Emma has had quite the year, what with the release of her fantastic new album, "My Happy Place," the Spice Girls UK reunion tour, co-hosting The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration on ABC Thanksgiving day, and her own Christmas spectacular at the Royal Albert Hall that I so wish I could have been at. Why do all the best holiday shows only happen in London? Anyway, although the album was mainly covers, done in her retro-style that she has developed over the years, this first single from the album is an original that she co-wrote, and the video features some adorable cameos from her husband and children.


7. "Looking for Someone" - Bananarama
Hot off the heels of their "Original Lineup Tour" which saw the duo that has comprised Bananarama for the past 30+ year reunite with Siobhan Fahey, who left the band in 1988 right at the height of their popularity, Bananarama are back to a two-piece. The release of their eleventh album, "In Stereo," earlier this year was a welcome return to form. In my opinion it is one of their strongest albums ever, with a variety of song styles all within their high-energy, polished pop sound with lovely vocal harmonies in addition to the trademarked unison singing. There were many highlights from the album including opener "Love in Stereo" and the first single "Stuff Like That," but this, the second single, was my favorite. It has kind of a Blondie/Go-Go's vibe that's a real treat to hear Bananarama doing.


6. "Hold Your Fire" - Bad Suns
I was a fan of Bad Suns early single "Cardiac Arrest" from their debut album back in 2013, so when I saw they were doing a free show at Amoeba to include a performance and signing of their new album, I figured, why not? So I went to hear them, and bought the album having never heard it, just so I could get it signed. It turned out to be a good move, because I really love the whole album and it was great seeing the guys perform these songs live and getting to meet them afterward. "Hold Your Fire," while not a single from the album, is one of the standout tracks which sounds like it could have been all over the radio back in the '80s. I also really loved the album closer, "Starjumper."

5. "Watermelon Sugar" - Harry Styles
I think we all always knew that Harry Styles would be the superstar to emerge from One Direction, although it's quite surprising how Niall Horan is very hot on his tails! Zayn seemed poised for a big breakthrough with the release of his debut album, but he has kind of gone downhill since then, although he's still a dreamboat. But Harry has been able to transform into a truly respected musician, and the release of his sophomore album "Fine Line" has only done more to cement that status. I went to the Harry Styles pop-up shop, which was actually a lot more fun that I had anticipated, as my friend and I snapped our way through the various photo backdrops and admired the artwork while hearing tunes from the new album. "Watermelon Sugar" is a jam that you can't get out of your head for days, and it was so fun to see him perform it on SNL!


4. "Talk About It" - The Mowgli's
Some big changes happened this year for the loveable Mowgli's, with the departure of vocalist Colin Dieden, but it has not slowed them down at all. In fact, they released a new video "Stop Fighting With Yourself" that shows that the band is as strong as ever! They released the American Feelings EP in March of this year and I got to see them perform at the Fonda in Hollywood shortly thereafter, and this song was a highlight of the set for me, being the first song where Katie sings lead. It's a great song and shows just how versatile the Mowgli's can be, channeling great new wave and punk-pop sounds into their folk-rock vibes.



3. "x ANA x" - Badflower
Sometimes I'm afraid rock is dead, and then a young new rock band appears out of nowhere and slaps the worry right off my face! Badflower is a Los Angeles based quartet that fuses rock and electro, kind of like Garbage, but with more of a punk ethos - and lots of rage! Front cutie Josh Katz seems ornery and simultaneously like a teddy bear, but he definitely knows how to be in front of a rock back. "x ANA x" is a meandering, schizophrenic nightmare of a song that just keeps getting weirder and weirder, but anytime that driving beat kicks in you just want to get up and smash something! I ran my first half-marathon this year, and this song came up near the end of it and gave me the adrenaline rush I needed to finish strong. Oh, and the video is totally nutso, too! One last thing, there's a great song on the album called "We're in Love" which is a great song about love defying gender or orientation.


2. "Juice" - Lizzo
There's no denying that 2019 was Lizzo's year, and we were all just living in it. Dylan and I discovered her a few years back at this music festival that Entertainment Weekly was trying to launch. We cracked up at her song "Phone" and I thought, this girl is one to watch. So when I saw the video for "Juice" on YouTube, I thought - here it goes! I knew she was going to be a mega-star after that, and that's exactly what happened this year. "Truth Hurts" probably turned out to be an even bigger hit, but I dare you to stand perfectly still while "Juice" is being cranked - you can't do it! It just makes you get up and run to the dancefloor, and sing along at the top of your lungs! For another take on the song, look for Harry Style's live cover version on YouTube, it's a blast!

 1. "God In Jeans" - Ryan Beatty
This song technically came out in 2018, but I was not aware of him until early this year. His album, "Boy In Jeans" kind of reminds me if Lana Del Rey and Troye Sivan somehow had a lovechild. He has those smooth vocals but also a very specific aesthetic that is echoed throughout his videos and live performances (I got to see him live at The Fonda this past spring). He has his own unique style and I think it's just a matter of time before he becomes a bigger name, but "God in Jeans" was definitely my song of 2019 - Spotify even confirmed it was my most listened to song of the year. "God is real, he was sleeping in my bed last night, we were naked with the radio on, playing my favorite song," is one of the best opening lines of a song ever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!