#artdamagetour

September, 2019, presented the opportunity for a mini "tour" in support of the album I released this year, "Art Damage." I was offered a couple of shows, and then was able to book a few more in places further away than I usually get to play. So I made the most of it and billed it as the #artdamagetour.

I made the flyer above as soon as I had confirmed all five gigs. I took the photo myself and edited it all on my phone with various apps.



Bisbee, AZ - September 1
The first stop on the tour was the charming, historic mining town of Bisbee, Arizona. Our friend Gretchen Bonaduce had just moved there, having purchased a grand old mansion, The Greenway Manor, which she converted into a rock n' roll bed and breakfast. Dylan and I stayed in the Beatles Room (Jarod stayed in the adjoining Rolling Stones Room) and had an amazing time at Gretchen's Great Gatsby themed dinner party.
With Gretchen Bonaduce at the Greenway Manor (Photo by Jarod Millsap)
The next day, we explored Bisbee and then we rehearsed together for the Boynanarama portion of the show. Gretchen has performed with Boynanarama on several occasions so we had decided to do a few songs at the end of my set. The show was at The Quarry, a funky little place right in the heart of Old Bisbee. The whole town had Great Gatsby themed events that weekend. I was grateful to be part of the festivities. After my show, which was officially my longest solo show to date, we walked around Bisbee and had drinks at the Bisbee Grand.

At The Quarry, Bisbee, Arizona. (Photo by Jarod Millsap)
For this set, I used my Roland Lucina keytar with backing tracks on a USB stick, the and Alesis Micron. I was also able to haul my Chauvet Freedom Stick lights out there so I had them on stage too.

Set list:

1. Tape
2. Meathooks
3. By My Side
4. Anyone Can Break Somebody's Heart
5. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
6. Digital Representation
7. Mustache Rides Five Cents (Shitting Glitter cover)
8. Now I Know What I Want
9. To Be Young & On Downers
Boynanarama:
10. Really Saying Something
11. Shy Boy
12. Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye



Vernon, CA - September 13
The next show was Friday the 13th and boy did I have bad luck! Friday the 13th is one of my favorite "holidays" and I usually try to spend it watching films from the horror franchise with friends, but this time I thought it would be fun to do a show. The venue, Area 51, is really the back room of a deli restaurant in the city of Vernon. Vernon, south of downtown LA, is known as an industrial area of Los Angeles and has been known to be plagued with corruption in its government, possibly due to its unique nature of having highly profitable factories and slaughterhouses while having a very small residential population within its limits. It was the inspiration for the town of "Vinci" in True Detective's second season. So for those reasons I was really looking forward to this show. Unfortunately the night proved to have little drawing power in comparison to the many other options presented in a city like Los Angeles, and possibly some people really do just stay home out of superstition? I dunno, but either way, the crowd was small but mighty and the other bands who performed were all excellent and supportive of each other so we all had fun.

The set-up was essentially the same as in Bisbee, with my keytar, the Micron, and the Freedom sticks, but this time I also incorporated my American DJ led light bars, and my fog machine. I also had gotten a Jason Vorhees mask from Hollywood Toys & Costumes earlier that day so I wore that during the intro.
Set list:
1. Downstairs (Instrumental Edit) - Intro
2. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
3. If You were a Ghost
4. Until the Break of Dawn (Instrumental Edit) - Interlude
4. Anyone Can Break Somebody's Heart
5. Meathooks
6. Dear Christine


West Hollywood, CA - September 17
It was nice to have my current hometown show at Bar Lubitsch. It's just down the street from our apartment, and we used to go there a lot back in the day when it was known as The Parlour. Obviously it's all different now, and I never went back after the first time I went when it reopened as Bar Lubitsch because they rudely refused entry to my brother and his partner at the time because they were dressed too much like we would have if it had still been the Parlour. I let go of the grudge to play here and I'm glad I did because they had a great room with a nice sound system and knowledgeable technician to run it. And of course I had the support of some of my best friends in the audience, including Bradley Jacobson who co-produced my album, and Christopher Freeman who played and mixed on it. And sharing the stage with me was my talented pal Rayssa who also sings on the album. Once again, Dylan and Jarod joined me at the end for a couple of Boynanarama songs.
The last song of the Bar Lubitsch show, joined by Dylan, Rayssa, and Jarod. (Photo by James Kong)
My set up included the keytar with tracks on USB, my Roland RS-5 keyboard which is still the one I call my "main keyboard" even though I rarely play it anymore, as well as the Freedom Sticks.
Set list:
1. Winnipeg Beach
2. Into the Great Wide Open (Tom Petty cover)
3. Everlasting Love (Love Affair cover)
4. By my Side
5. Meathooks
6. To be Young & On Downers
Boynanarama:
7. Shy Boy
8. Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
Paradise, KS - September 20
Now talk about hometown, Paradise (pop. 49) is the town I grew up just outside of for the first 14 years of my life. In order to help maintain the town's historic watertower, and the infrastructure and fees associated with being an incorporated city with a tiny population, the town council last year started a Paradise Fall Festival. Having a deep affinity for my hometown, and experience in event planning and festival production, I naturally wanted to help out in any way I could. So in my attempt to grow the festival into a two-day celebration, with the help of my family and some great friends in Paradise, I planned a pre-party the evening before the 2nd annual festival. We were able to use what had been the town's only gas station when I was a kid as the venue, thanks to a good family friend. Nobody I contacted could locate a picture of the gas station when it was in operation, which I wanted to use for the flyer, so I had an artist create an illustration.
Artwork by Endrimarku.
We decorated the old garage with an automobile motif including inflatable tires, light-up traffic cones, and racing pennants. We had a local caterer do the food, which was a taco bar with delicious meats and toppings. Then my brother, uncle Ronnie, and I played a couple of quick sets. So many old friends came out to enjoy the festivities and my heart was truly warmed by the gathering of people. After we finished our sets, and most of the older crowd had gone home, the rest of us listened to Uncle Ronnie play songs and then lots of cousins and friends joined in an impromptu jam session which included various takes on the John Denver classic, "Country Roads."


Ronnie Hendershott (my uncle), Brandon Strecker (my brother), and I at the Paradise Festival Pre-Party. (Photo by Caitlyn Hendershott)
Set list:
Brandon lead vocals
1. I Won't Back Down (Tom Petty Cover)
2. Rain on the Scarecrow (John Cougar Mellencamp cover)
3. Vagabond Daddy
4. Timiner
Devin lead vocals
5. Into the Great Wide Open (Tom Petty Cover)
6. By My Side
7. Tape
8. Everlasting Love (Love Affair Cover)
9. Can You Feel the Love Tonight (Elton John cover)

Westlake Village, CA - September 27
I believe this was actually the first show that was scheduled out of this entire run, and I'm so glad it worked out the way it did because this was a great note to end on. NABU Wines is a great place that I got to play at once before as part of Arthur Autumn's The Sunday Night Revue (it was the Elton John night). The owner is a terrific guy and the place has a great vibe - and a great crowd! Tonight, almost every available seat was taken and everyone was so supportive and attentive, it was actually a little nerve-wracking. Also, the other artists on the bill (it was NABU's Singer Songwriter Night) were all amazing, so that's always intimidating. But it's good to feel that way, and humbling to be part of such a classy evening.
The way it works there is each artist, in alphabetical order, plays two original songs. Once all artists have performed it starts again for a second round, where I'm told sometimes artists slip in a third song or a cover. I opted to just stick to the script with four originals.
At NABU Wines for their Singer Songwriter Night. (Photo by Michael Kohli)
I had brought my Roland RS-5 and a piano bench for the show, but luckily the amazing Erik Szabo (who fronts a Tom Petty tribute called Petty or Not) had already set up his amazing Korg Triton on stage and was kind enough to just let me use that.
Set List:
Round 1: 
1. By My Side
2. Glisten

Round 2:
3. Winnipeg Beach
4. To Be Young & On Downers


When it was all said and done, I realized how far I've come with my music. Obviously it's not where I had dreamed it would be when I was a kid and had dreams of pop chart domination, million dollar music videos and sold-out arena tours. But I think of my music as my art, and to have the support of so many people who booked me, came to see me, listened to my album or videos, paid or spent any money on my music, it's all an honor and it keeps me going. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!