Top 10 Songs of 2015

This is the 9th year I have ranked my top 10 favorite songs here on my blog! I'll have to do something really special to celebrate next year's countdown (note to self). This was a fun year for music, with lots of new releases, some new bands I discovered, thanks to Spotify, and some great concerts that I'll never forget! Before we get into the top 10 songs that made my boat float this past year, we'll start again with honorable mentions and then a brand new section this year with my favorite local bands!

Honorable Mentions

"Uma Thurman" - Fall Out Boy. FOB returned in a big way the past couple of years. This was a great song with a sample from "The Munsters" theme song.
Somebody New - Joywave. Loved the music video!
All of You - Betty Who. Betty never fails to disappoint.
Sunscreem - What Will the Sun Say. Techno-rock band from the 90's returns with a surprise comeback album.

Local Sounds

Island Apollo - Lion Eyes. These guys are great and play often around Hollywood.
Wasi - Gets Me Everytime. Wasi released a stellar EP earlier this year including this great single.
Westerner - I won't name a song because this is a band that you really have to experience live!

10. "Ghost Town" - Adam Lambert
It was the battle of the ghost towns this year as both Adam and Madonna released singles with that title. However, as great as Madonna's was, Adam's was such a cool mixture of spaghetti western, gay dance club, and heartbreak that it won hands down! Lambert may have got his big break on American Idol, but since then he has really proven himself as an artist, making bold choices and keeping a consistently high level of quality in his recordings. This is no exception, it's a song that stands out and makes you take note of it, and it really showcases his powerful vocals.


9. "Too Much Time Together" - San Cisco
San Cisco are just such a cute band, and I loved the album they put out this year, "Graceland." This is actually one of the more "standard" type of songs on the album, it's got a classic chord progression in the chorus and it's difficult not to sing along once you've heard it. San Cisco is pretty big in their native Australia and they have the indie pop sound that could make them big here too if they just got a good promotional push. They did tour the states and they came to LA twice this year but both times I was unable to see them which bummed me out, but maybe next year?


8. "Cast Away" - Strange Talk
I had discovered Strange Talk through Spotify and at first just really liked their song "Falling in Love" which I included in my annual Palm Springs playlist. Then I listened to the album a few more times and really fell in love with it, most of all this song, the title track. I love their mixture of indie rock, synth pop, and dance music. Unfortunately, it seems that the band had been somewhat manipulated by a record label or management or someone, because this year they announced that they had pared down to two original members, stating that the other members were just hired to make the appearance of a "real band" and it kind of caused me to lose interest. Maybe I'll check their new stuff out sometime, but it left a bad taste in my mouth hearing that this band I was starting to fall in love with was not what I thought it was.

7. "Moondust" - Ash
It had been quite a few years since I had given much thought to Ash, a band that I had really enjoyed with the release of their album "Free All Angels" back in 2002 when I was making a big transition that included a new job and a new apartment by myself in Koreatown. In 2009, Annie Lennox covered their hit "Shining Light" and that's probably the last time I had been reminded of them much, aside from a few karaoke nights where I would sing that song, or perhaps "Sometimes." Then in May of this year, they released a new album, "Kablammo" which I really enjoyed listening to. "Cocoon" and "Machinery" are great, powerful songs, but "Moondust" was the one where I listened to it, and then stopped it and played it again, and again! It had me mesmerized and for awhile I had to listen to it every time I got in the car (which is why Spotify notified me it was my most played song of 2015 - according to them). The whole album is great and it's nice to have Ash back in my life, and I even dug a little deeper and bought their album "Meltdown" which was the follow up to "Free All Angels" that I had never heard before.


6. "Perfect" - One Direction
It's been really bittersweet this year with the new One Direction album coming out and all the surrounding publicity and television appearances, knowing that they are going away soon and who knows if they will ever come back? When Zayn left, I have to admit that even my interest in the band was starting to wane. After all, he had been my favorite member, and I considered him the "Mel C" of the band (aka the best actual singer). But once the remaining four lads started to release the songs from their 5th album, I really enjoyed the new tunes and admired them for persevering, as it seemed like they put a lot more effort into it rather than backing off. "Perfect" is a great song because it straddles the line between being a regular pop song and a full-on ballad, and it's got a great, long chorus that takes awhile to finally be able to sing along to. Plus, a little Taylor Swift reference in the breakdown. Here's hoping that they will come back after their hiatus even stronger than before!

5. "You and I Alone" - Daphne & Celeste
You would have been hard pressed to convince me that Daphne & Celeste would ever get back together, and then end up on my top 10 songs of 2015 list, but that's exactly what happened! I was only vaguely familiar with the duo from their contribution to the "Bring it On" soundtrack. From that, out of morbid curiosity, I did at some point hear their cover of "School's Out" (I think I saw the video somehow, maybe online) and I knew about their song "Ooh Stick You" but I'm not sure if I heard it at the time... I just know that I was aware they had some hits in the UK but as far as the US was concerned, they just had one random school-yard chant song on a cheerleading movie soundtrack. Then, back in March, I started seeing them popping up on blogs. They released one song, "You and I Alone," which was really the brainchild of producer Max Tundra. Reading the stories about the girls and their experiences being "Daphne & Celeste" was actually quite interesting and funny, and I really enjoyed the new song. It's different, cool, a little weird, but still has the kind of silly vibe they are known for. I started a remix of it, after I tweeted them and Tundra, but have yet to finish it! Hopefully soon!

4. "Guitars and Microphones" - Kate Pierson
Who could have predicted that 2015 would be the year that Kate Pierson, of the B-52's, would finally release her debut solo album? While Fred Schneider released his first way back in 1984, and Cindy Wilson for a time played shows with her own Cindy Wilson band, Kate has been content with her work in the B's and some well-chosen collaborations like Iggy Pop's "Candy" and REM's "Shiny Happy People" among the most well-known. But somehow the stars aligned for this self-proclaimed "late-in-life lesbian", perhaps the most notable catalyst was her friendship with Sia, who ended up working on the album with Pierson. The duo, along with help from many other notable musicians, came up with a timeless sounding album showcasing Kate's powerful vocals and impressive range, while nodding towards the B-52's sound but creating something uniquely Kate. This, the title track, includes some really adorable keyboards lines which remind me of "Legal Tender" (my fave B's track) with lyrics that appear bright and poppy on the surface but with a lingering melancholy just below.

3. "Diamonds" - Georgio Morodor feat. Charli XCX
I admit that I mainly purchased the new Georgio Moroder album on vinyl because the packaging was just to die for! But also, because he has had a hand in so many hits by so many of my favorite artists. "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin, "Call Me" by Blondie, "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer, and of course "Together in Electric Dreams" with Phil Oakey of the Human League. But luckily it's not just the packaging that is amazing - the music is modern club pop featuring some of today's most interesting vocalists, including Charli XCX who is featured on this tracks. I have liked Charli's stuff for awhile now, and this is a great pairing and great song for her to sing. It was really close between this one and "Back and Forth" featuring Kelis, and of course "Right Here Right Now" with Kylie. But this is the song that I come back to again and again.

2. "Make a Scene" - Shamir
I got Shamir's album based off a recommendation from Liana (my co-vocalist in Devin Tait & The Traitors) as she was raving about this artist I'd never heard of. I listened to it for the first time while out on a run and this track jumped out at me, literally making me laugh and perhaps run a tad bit faster! I love the melody and the different harmonies and interesting sounds, but also just the overall funkiness of it. Shamir is androgynous and has a voice that has a similar ethereal quality as Green Gartside from Scritti Politti. And like Scritti, Shamir really pushes the boundaries of electronic music while keeping the choruses sing-along style. I made this one my alarm clock tone for awhile.

1. "Pressure Off" - Duran Duran
This was kind of a no-brainer! The first single from Duran Duran's 14th studio album, "Paper Gods," was released well in advance of the album. So it gave us plenty of time to "feel it in the air"  and "step into the future." The song is very upbeat and funky sounding with signature Duran Duran bass and synths and of course, Simon's distinctive vocals. Janelle Monet is a featured vocalist, and Nile Rodgers lends his guitar and production skills to the track, knocking it out of the ballpark! It was great seeing the band perform this live on television, and I finally had my dream of meeting the band come true when I was one of the lucky people who got a "golden ticket" and Amoeba Music for a signing of the new album. (In case you're wondering, Nick was the nicest to me, which is great since he's the keyboard player!) By the way, if I were to pick my second favorite song from "Paper Gods" it would be "Danceophobia" followed very closely by a tie between "You Kill Me With Silence" and the stunning title track.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!