All Duran Duran's albums ranked!

Duran Duran's 14th album came out last Friday, so in honor of their amazing career I thought I'd rank all of their studio albums! Duran Duran has been one of my favorite bands since I can remember. They were at the height of their popularity just as I was starting to become aware of pop culture and listening to the radio. Their songs were played on the radio all the time when I was around 8 years old, and they were the favorite band of my cousin, Travis, who I idolized. So naturally I became interested in them and followed their career through the highs and the lows. I remember being in my cousin Scott's wedding when I was a junior in high school, and on the drive there, the DJ announced that "Ordinary World" was #1, and that song was from what has become known as "The Wedding Album" which was very fitting and special for me on that day. Several years later, in college, is when I went from being more of a superficial fan (I really only had known their singles up to this point) to a true, die-hard Duranie, delving into their back catalogue and exploring b-sides, live tracks, and rarities.
Duran Duran has undeniably been a huge influence not just on my music, but on my life. They are to me what the Beatles were to my mom: that band that defined the decade(s) you grew up in.
There have definitely been ups and downs involved with following Duran Duran but it is great to have them back in top form! So without further ado, let the countdown commence!

14. POP TRASH 2000
Clearly the low-point in the band's career. I almost ranked this higher than Red Carpet Massacre (#13) because I actually did listen to Pop Trash more at the time of its release. Looking back now, however, I'd probably rather listen to Red Carpet than this clunker. There are a few decent songs, my favorites of which are "Mars Meets Venus" and "Last Day On Earth" but there are some real snoozers like "Pop Trash Movie" and the appropriately titled "Lady Xanax" that I can barely even recall. I remember being really excited when this came out because it was their first album released after I had moved to LA, but it's not one I ever pull out to listen to anymore; in fact, I don't even think I own a playable copy (mine got all scratched up somehow). It seemed like they were running out of ideas. The lead single, "Someone Else Not Me" was pretty but as Madonna would say, "reductive." The Beatles, and Tears For Fears, had done that sound better before. Highlight: The video for Someone was the first internet Flash-based video.

13. RED CARPET MASSACRE 2007
Duran Duran tried too hard to chase chart success with this one, and failed. While there are some decent tunes on it like the single "Falling Down,"and album tracks "Tempted" and "The Valley," the production by Timbaland and Nate "Danja" Hills (among others) reeked of desperation-to-sound-current. Much like Human League's "Crash" album, it sounds less like an album by the band and more like they were guests on the producers tracks. There's a clump of songs near the end that kind of recall the Pop Trash era for me, that I don't even remember registering for me, and the beats on songs like "Skin Divers" and "Nite Runner" just sound insipid and uninspired - a world away from the band's classic albums. Highlight: The video for "Falling Down" was an epic nearly-seven minute exploration of "models in rehab" featuring Justin Timberlake.

12. NOTORIOUS 1986
After the band sort of imploded following years of worldwide touring and what must have been incredible pressure from all angles, (and after two DD splinter-groups released their debut albums) three of the original members regrouped and put out this album which was heavily influenced by producer Nile Rodgers. It showed a much funkier side of Duran Duran as evidenced in the massive hit title track, which lives on to this day (including being sampled in "Notorious B.I.G."). It kept the band from disappearing at a time when many wondered whether they'd be able to keep going. It wasn't until college that I finally got this album and came to appreciate the entire work, which is very cohesive and has some great songwriting and hooky tunes like "American Science," "Vertigo (Do The Demolition)," "Meet El Presidente," and "Skin Trade" (perhaps the band's most underrated single). I appreciated the variety too, with slower and more somber tracks like  "Winter Marches On" and "A Matter of Feeling." Highlight: "No No.... Notorious!!!"

11. THANK YOU 1995
The much-maligned covers album came hot on the heels of the huge success of The Wedding Album but unfortunately did not prolong that triumphant era. Denounced for their take on songs like "911 Is A Joke" (I actually really like their version) and "White Lines," many people wrote this album off without even listening to it. There's actually quite a variety and versatility shown here, with a broad range of artists being covered while still retaining the unique Duran Duran sound. More importantly, and what I think any good covers album should do, it introduced me to many songs and artists that I was unfamiliar with or under-familiar with - kids needs a good musical education now and then! Of course the fun of a covers album it to then listen to the original versions to compare and contrast. On that front, it did not disappoint me. Highlight: Their cover of "Perfect Day" is sublime, and approved by Lou Reed himself.

10. MEDAZZALAND 1997
This album is kind of a hot mess but it is one that I listened to a lot when it came out and it gave me a real appreciation for the band since they kept going even though by this point, which was just before their nadir, it seemed like hardly anyone was listening. The single "Electric Barbarella" was pretty good and managed to pay homage to the film from which their name is taken. It also did an admirable job of nodding towards a current sound with its grungy guitars and lo-fi electronica, while remaining undeniably Duran Duran. There was also the moody "Out Of Your Mind" which was featured in the Val Kilmer movie "The Saint." But for me, the standout tracks were "Who Do You Think You Are" and the beautiful "Michael You've Got A Lot To Answer For" which showed a mellow, sophisticated side of Simon LeBon. Highlight:  For me, the album is worth it for "Michael" which was written about the dearly departed lead singer of INXS.

9. LIBERTY 1990
I really wish I could rank this album higher because I kinda have a "thing" for this album! It's like my secret crush of the Duran Duran albums. At one point I even considered it tied for my favorite, because it's so quirky and strange in its mediocrity. It almost doesn't even sound like Duran Duran to me. They started off the 1990's on this dubious note, sounding like a band desperate to figure out what they were supposed to be doing but not really finding it. This was probably a pretty big misstep for the band, as I remember seeing the album in stores when it came out and not knowing what to think, and not being curious enough to buy it. I guess the most troubling thing was the lack of a hit single. This was the first time MTV and radio weren't playing anything off a new Duran Duran album, so there wasn't that hook to pull you in. Looking at the cover was confusing also. There was a blond girl and a black dude, and a rather butch-looking Simon... Who were all these people? As it turned out the guy, Sterling Campbell, was officially added to the lineup for this album - and this album only - in addition to Warren Cuccurullo on guitar, who had already been playing with the band for awhile and would continue all the way up until the early 2000s.  The girl was just a model. Anyway this album is great fun for me to discover later, and I just adore the video for the lead single, "Violence of Summer (Love's Taking Over), and it's sad that MTV just pretty much took a pass on it. In the pre-YouTube days I had to mail-order the Laserdisc Extraordinary World just to track down this video. Highlight  The album's second single, "Serious," and its accompanying video, are gorgeous, and were both thankfully included on the band's second major greatest hits compilation, aptly titled Greatest, despite not actually being a "hit."

8. BIG THING 1988
This one holds a special place for me as it was the first Duran Duran album that I got when it was new. It was one of my Christmas gifts from my parents back in 1988 on vinyl, and I also gave it to my cousin Travis on cassette that year, although I tried to trick him by wrapping it in a box to make him think it was a record or something (who knows what I was thinking). Looking back, I think I did it to throw him off because I remember giving him a clue as to what I had gotten him by saying "all she wants it" thinking he'd never know what that meant. Shortly thereafter we were watching TV, I think the Canadian channel MuchMusic, and they debuted the video for the second single, "All She Wants Is." Oops! I really love this album, not so much for the huge hit single "I Don't Want Your Love" or the other more upbeat, dance-clubby tracks on the side one, but the more atmospheric tracks on side two. In fact, side two of this album is one of my go-to's for spacey, chill-out music - just listen to this side of the record and relax! Highlight: The herky-jerky, trippy, aforementioned video for "All She Wants Is" is among the band's most memorable.

7. DURAN DURAN (Debut self-titled album) 1981
Obviously my introduction to this album came much later, since I was only 4 years old upon its original release. It was re-released in the US in 1983 (after the humongous success of Rio) with the song "Is There Something I Should Know" tagged on to it. So I kind of always associated it with that song which is not really representative of the sound of the album. It's actually a pretty dark, spacey, and atmospheric record but with a danceable beat and pop sensibilities. I finally got to know this album in college and came to really appreciate it. The very underrated single "Careless Memories" is thrilling "Friends of Mine" has a great verse/chorus contrast, and "Nightboat" is almost terrifying. And of course everyone knows the famous single and video "Girls on Film." Highlight: Even though it doesn't really fit in or belong to this album, the huge hit "Is There Something I Should Know" is what sold this album in the US and remains one of my all-time favorite Duran singles.

6. PAPER GODS 2015
Since this album is still so new, it's hard to gauge where it will eventually end up in the overall scheme of things, but for now I am comfortable putting it here. The first four songs, and track 6, are just outstanding! I love how the band pays homage to their past while living clearly in the moment, although personally I think the artwork would have been more appropriate for the album which proceeded it (All You Need Is Now), since that record really seemed to play with to their classic sound more. This album, while nodding to their '80s glory days, feels more fresh and forward looking. Songs like "You Kill Me With Silence," "Danceophobia," "Butterfly Girl" and the title track are more than worth the price of admission! I'm still getting to know the rest of the songs, but I see this one being stuck in my CD player for a long time to come. The icing on the cake: I bought the album (on vinyl) at Amoeba the day it was released and got a ticket to come back on October 5 for a meet and greet where they will sign the album! My first time meeting them! Highlight: Lindsay Lohan's spoken part on the nu-disco banger "Danceophobia" (and the song in general).

5. RIO 1982
This is the big album for a lot of Duranies and with good reason; it's a solid collection chock full of hits and is really what the band is known for. The album cover and the videos are all iconic. Singles like "Hungry Like The Wolf", "Save A Prayer," "The Chauffeur" and "Rio" catapulted the band to stratospheric heights of success and honestly, we probably wouldn't still be talking about them to this day if it wasn't for this album. There was no escaping this album in the '80s. In college I got it on vinyl and discovered the amazing album cuts like "My Own Way" (actually a single, but I never heard it on radio or MTV), "Lonely In Your Nightmare" and "Hold Back The Rain." I probably should rank this higher, but the fact is I've just heard these songs so much that they're a little played out for me at this point. Almost a case of being 'too much of a good thing.' Still, what an amazing album. Highlight: I don't think "Hungry Like The Wolf" really ever gets old, does it?

4. ASTRONAUT 2004
Around 2001, Duran Duran made the announcement that many of us Duranies thought would never happen - the original lineup was reforming to tour and record a new album! It was a very happy time for us fans as the anticipation of the new album was building up, and the band toured relentlessly before its release to show the music industry that they were still viable. The album itself did not disappoint, filtering the classic DD sound for a new millennium. Although lead single "(Reach Up For The) Sunrise" felt a little formulaic and too commercial for me, tracks like "Nice," Want You More" had more of a cutting edge, and the title track was upbeat and fresh, ushering in a new era for the band. The serious songs on the album were among their best - "Still Breathing" and "Chains" being career highlights. This was a rare case of the album being worth the hype! It's too bad that the follow up effort, "Reportage", was scrapped and still has not been released. Highlight: My personal highlight was getting to finally see the original five band members perform together live.

3. ALL YOU NEED IS NOW 2010
This album came as such a surprise to me. After the disaster that was "Red Carpet Massacre," I wasn't expecting much as I was afraid the band was trying too hard to stay current. However, once I had heard that they were working with Mark Ronson, who had commented that he was trying to bring the band back to their original sound, I was intrigued. I downloaded the album on iTunes the day it was released and listened to the whole thing that night and was blown away. It's ALMOST on that border of being too derivative of their earlier stuff, but yet completely unique and new. It was sort of like they travelled back in time and recorded a follow-up to Seven And The Ragged Tiger. The only things I weren't too keen on were the lead single/title track (probably my least favorite track on the album) and the artwork. Highlight: "The Man Who Stole A Leopard", which features Kelis.

2. DURAN DURAN (aka "THE WEDDING ALBUM") 1993
I didn't come to truly appreciate this album until several years later. I absolutely loved the singles off of it, and collected all of them on either CD or cassette singles, and although I bought the album when it was new, I don't remember actually listening to it until years later (something I did often back in high school). Once I did finally get into it, I was amazed to discover how cohesive and consistently awesome this album is! In addition to the very successful MTV hits "Ordinary World" and "Come Undone", there's also the self-referential "Too Much Information" and great album tracks like "Sin of the City" and "Drowning Man" (although I think this was also technically a single because I have a 12" of it). Every song is great! Highlight: I will never tire of hearing "Ordinary World."

1. SEVEN AND THE RAGGED TIGER 1983
This is the apex of classic 80's Duran Duran for me! This is the album that came out when I was first paying attention to things like albums, and the source of some of my ultimate favorite tracks, "The Reflex," "New Moon on Monday," and "Union of the Snake." After the worldwide success of the "Rio" album, some of the cracks were starting to show - but what an appealing mess it was! Full of delicious synths and surreal lyrics, I can listen to this album over and over again. It's short, sweet, and over-the-top, and felt like it was the musical equivalent of Indiana Jones. Highlight: The video for "New Moon on Monday."

Comments

Brandonbodt said…
good blogbee!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!