Top 10 Songs of 2013

2013 has been a weird year for me.  It's been a dry year, meaning I haven't drank any alcohol, which is, in and of itself, very different from most any other year in recent memories.  Did I gain a sense of clarity, or a sense of detoxification?  Not really, I just realized that there have definitely been times where I have drank too much when I didn't need to.  But that's beside the point, as the point is the top 10 songs of the year!  In the absence of many new releases from my old favorites, there are a lot of new artists represented in this year's list.

First - Honorable mentions:
"Back Together" - Annie; "Broken Record" - Little Boots; "For Once in My Life" - Mel B (although it was a huge bummer when we went to see her promoting this new single by simply 'appearing' at a nightclub without actually performing or doing a meet-and-greet or anything else that would have made standing around waiting for hours seem worth it); "I Was A Fool" - Tegan and Sara.

10. "Sun" - Belinda Carlisle
I just don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Belinda Carlisle's voice.  Something about it elicits so many emotions in me.  Her voice is so unique and easily recognizable, and shows such a range of drama.  Plus, of course it reminds me of childhood memories of simpler times.  It was great to hear her back this year with a brand new, up-tempo and uplifting song called "Sun."  It was unfortunately just one new song on a greatest hits album - I could have easily listened to a whole new album in this vein and with this style of dance-pop which would be equally at home on the radio as it would be in a club.  Hopefully there will be more new music from Ms. Carlisle in the near future!

9. "Young and Beautiful" - Lana Del Rey, Father Tiger
I enjoyed Baz Luhrman's film "The Great Gatsby" although I'm ashamed to admit I've never read the book so I had nothing to really compare it to.  Part of what added so much dimension to the film, as with all his films, is the music.  I was so glad he chose Lana Del Rey to sing the main song from the film, which was a perfect fit with her noir, chanteuse style of singing.  There were a couple different versions of it featured in the film which really showed the song's versatility, and served to show that Lana is not going away anytime soon.  In fact, the remix of her song "Summertime Sadness" became a huge hit in its own right this year.

8. "Gun" - Chvrches
This is a new band that I had seen lots of my friends who have similar tastes to my own posting about on Facebook so I decided to check it out.  At first, I didn't really get into it because it seemed a little mellow.  But finally I decided to watch their videos on YouTube and that's what sold me!  The trio of cute little people from Glasgow, Scotland, whip up some really moody and layered synth-pop that combines the sounds of new wave with current technology and attitudes.  The lead singer is so cute and has become my new Clare Grogan.  I really like the different sections of this song and how they lead up to the driving chorus.  I was lucky enough to see the band perform an intimate "acoustic" set (

7. "Gonna Take Some Time" - Len
Talk about a surprise comeback!  Most people know Len solely from their huge turn-of-the-millennium hit "Steal My Sunshine."  I had first discovered that song on the soundtrack to the movie "Go!" before it was suddenly everywhere.  Then they seemed to be gone just as quickly as they had appeared.  However, I had patiently waited for their album to be released and I really enjoyed the eclectic mix of lo-fi rock, Canadian rap, samples and soul.  I found an advanced promo of the follow-up album which never ended up being released here in the states.  So imagine my surprise to discover this new album so many years later!  It is a tight, polished effort that deserved way more attention.  This song is a perfect example of the melodic, catchy songs that brother and sister Marc and Sharon Costanza sound so sublime singing together on.

6. "Safe and Sound" - Capital Cities
This was one of those inescapable songs this year, especially during the summertime.  The 80's throwback sounds are reminiscent not only of that decade but also of the current band Chromeo.  It was a huge radio hit but somehow I never truly got tired of hearing it.  The opening strains definitely take you back to a happier time and place and you can't help but singing along at the top of your lungs.
I enjoyed their entire album, and especially liked the follow-up single, "Kangaroo Court," which sadly did not get as much attention in the wake of this monster hit.  Check out the rest of the album, there's only one song on it that I can't really stand.


5. "Venus" - Lady Gaga
It's obviously the time in Gaga's career where the backlash has completely set in.  It seems like everyone hates her now, and even I was a little worried about the direction she was headed in with the promotion of "Art Pop."  But, people just need to remember what pop music is.  It's just supposed to be something fun you can dance to or sing along, to lift your spirits and mark a point in time.  It was so much fun to see Lady Gaga and the Muppets on Thanksgiving and some great guest stars including RuPaul, Elton John and Joseph Gordon Levitt.  This song grew on me to the point where I had to listen to it first thing ever day for about two weeks in a row.  It's basically got three different choruses and it's so fun to sing along with!

4. "Best Song Ever" - One Direction
I've still never actually bought a One Direction album but I enjoy watching their music videos when they come out and this one was a great one!  My favorite part is when my favorite, Zayn, dresses in drag as the sexy assistant (the video takes place in a record company office with all the guys taking on dual roles).  The song is the epitome of sing-along bubblegum pop, but it's got a great, infectious energy that makes you want to get up and dance.  I was bummed when the boys appeared on Saturday Night Live but decided not to perform this song, but I guess they're trying to be taken more seriously now.

3. "Girls/Girls/Boys" - Panic! at the Disco
Pa!tD returned this year with a wonderful album, "Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die," which combined a lot of the syles and elements from their previous albums into a nice, compact, hook-filled package.  "Miss Jackson" is a terrific rocker of a song that references Janet herself, but this song caught a lot of people's attention from the music video where singer Brendan Urie is apparently totally nude as the camera zooms and pans, just always missing anything NSFW.  The song is a great tribute to bisexuality and ends with the line "love is not a choice," which is a great sentiment and was echoed by Urie's claims in an interview that "I find myself being attracted to dudes all the time. I'm like, "Wow, that's a beautiful man." There's no shame in it; that's how I feel.... I guess if I had to classify myself, I'd say I'm straight. But I have, in the past, experimented in other realms of homosexuality and bisexuality."


2. "Hangover" - CSS
This is a strange song that CSS described as them trying to make a reggae song but not really knowing how to do that.   From their fourth album "Planta," CSS had to deal with the loss of founding member Adriano Cintra, who arguably was the musical force in the band, blaming his departure on his frustration that, among other things, the other band members couldn't even play their own instruments.  Regardless, the four remaining members of CSS came up with this breezy, spacy ode to love as a hangover, and although it didn't invade the general zeitgeist, it was one of the most poignant songs of the summer for me.


1. "I Love It" - Icona Pop
It's not the best song, and by now I'm a little sick of hearing it, but just like last year's #1, "Let's Have a Kiki," it was that song that was inescapable for much of the year, especially during the summertime when it was blasting from every dance club up and down Santa Monica Blvd.  If I had just heard this one song, I probably would not have given much thought to the band, but luckily my friend Marc talked them up enough that I checked out some of their other songs and really liked them.  I considered placing their single "Girlfriend" on this list instead, as I actually like that song better, but this one just defined 2013.  Getting to see them perform live in December of this year was a highlight and showed just how much talent and range the girls actually have.

Comments

aes9999 said…
Too bad the closeout song of your sister's wedding reception - Get Lucky - didn't make the cut! :) J/K - "I Love It" really was the song of the year, for better or worse.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!