the decade is about to slam shut


So this decade, which hasn't really gotten a proper name that everyone agrees on yet, is about to draw to a close... and what a decade it's been. I was born at the tail end of the 70's and consider the 80's my "childhood" (it's the decade from which most of the music and movies I love come from) although the 90's were host to my high school and college years. But what about this decade? Well, it was my 20's and the first 10 years I spent in Los Angeles. A lot happened and I think that, in the future, I will look back on this decade very fondly.
The end of a year is always a time to reminisce and take stock. This has been a good year. I liked it. It was the year I traveled to Boston and reunited with my good friend Courtney and met her husband, Tyler. My band's third album was finally released after a long and arduous process which forever changed the band.
2009 ended with an amazing holiday vacation to Maui with my parents and siblings. It was truly a special time as we enjoyed the beach, many home-cooked meals, and each others' company.
Coming soon, I will write in more detail about the trip to Maui (possibly), and of course my annual top 10 songs countdown is due.
Also, I am planning something "kinda big" for 2010. As many of my readers know, I kept a diary of the year 2000, because it was the year I graduated from college and moved to LA. I knew that I would want to remember everything that happened that year. I filled up one whole diary and had to get another one, but I wrote something for every day of the year. Now that ten years have past, I think it's time to do this again - so that I will have a snapshot of what has changed in my life every decade - and what has stayed the same.
I've already decided on my resolution, too, which I'm excited about. Rather than make some lofty goal about personal fitness or money or a career (although I am going back to school in February), I've decided to work on cutting out the clutter in my life. After seeing a few episodes of Hoarders on A&E, and hearing constant complaining from my partner that we "don't have room for anything else" in our apartment, I came up with an idea. Every day, I will part with one item. It could be an article of clothing, a CD, a piece of paper I've saved for some reason; even something as small as a hair clip or a button. Just as long as I say goodbye to one thing each day, I will have 365 less "things" in my life to try and keep track of. I want to try and focus on the items that I really can't do without, and let go of all the clutter that I've saved because of some sentimental attachment, or more often than not, laziness. And, to bid each item adieu, I will give it a proper send off by acknowledging it on my blog. That way, all of those things will be gone but not forgotten.
For now, I'm going to enjoy the last few days of this decade, and look forward to new dreams and memories in the next one.

Comments

Scarlet said…
I love your idea, I can't wait to see what goes each day!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!