Oh, our lady of the Emmys

So I thought this was going to be my first blog about the Emmys, but I looked back and saw I had written about it in 2006. For a brief refresher, my boyfriend has worked at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (the organization that puts on the Emmys) since before I knew him, and as such I get to be his guest at the awards show each year. Except, that is, for last year, when his friend Leah insisted that he take her instead. I was a good sport and let her go, although I was bemoaned the chance to attend the last Emmys at the Shrine.
This year was the first time the ceremony took place at it's new home, the Nokia Theatre at LA Live. I had been there once before to see Duran Duran on their most recent tour in support of Red Carpet Massacre. While I thought the venue was decent for a concert, I didn't see how it would translate into a ritzy awards show.
The first sign of trouble came when we pulled of the 110 freeway and approached the Nokia using the round-a-bout directions included on the map provided by the Emmys. They had us making a complete circle from Olympic to Union, then to Pico, and up Cherry to the parking lot. A very rude DOT officer waved to us that we were not allowed to turn left on Union, as it said to on our instructions, even though we had a vehicle pass in our windshield. This set us on a detour to another street that had a line of cars sitting there in a non-moving row. We got in line and inched our way forward over the course of a half an hour, realizing we were going to be late. I tried to console Dylan by pointing out how many other people were in the same boat as us. We eventually decided to try a "short-cut" and in the process passed two other TV Academy employees, including Dylan's boss! Our shortcut did end up getting us there before them, although we still had to sit in a line of cars for what ended up being an hour long ordeal. We even saw a golf cart pull up to a town car, from which Michelle Pfiefer and David E. Kelley exited and boarded the golf cart. Apparently, they were needed for the ceremony!
We finally got in an we had missed the opening and first set of awards. I didn't get to see the bit with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. But, otherwise I thought the show went well, and the highlight for me was Josh Grobin's performance and Tina Fey's wins for writing and best actress on a comedy.
The Governor's Ball was fabulous as usual, and I got to see Brooke Shield, John Krasinski (and others from The Office) and the highlight - Alec Baldwin! Oh, and our table was very near to the cast of Dexter, although I had already gotten to cavort with them at a prior TV Academy event.

So, my brother has been upset that the Emmys moved to the Nokia because it meant a big revenue cut for his company, who usually did all the phones for the Emmys when it was at the Shrine. Other people seemed to really want to tell Dylan and I how awful everyone thought the Emmys were this year. In all honesty, although I missed the opening and the part of getting there was not fun, I didn't think it was a bad show at all. I enjoyed myself and was very happy with many of the winners, and Dylan and I both thought that the stars seemed to stay longer at the Governor's Ball this year than they usually do before sweeping away to one of the more fabulous parties.

The next night was another big event for me - the CSS show at the Mayan, but I'm tired of typing so perhaps I'll tell that story another time (once I get some of the pictures from Marc, maybe!).

Comments

Scarlet said…
You had me going there when you said a "gold cart" pulled up to the limo, its a good thing you typed it again in the next line or I would not have figured it out! I'm glad you finally made it, what a fiasco!
Dylan said…
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good show this year, I dunno why so many people were complaining about it. Plus, everyone who deserved to win did so, and that's always a good thing. Anyway I did have fun going with YOU! Mwah!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!