I now pronounce you... stupid and unfunny

Just a quick blog because I've been seeing the billboard for this new movie "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" all over town. Now, I won't purport to know anything about this film other than the obvious: Adam Sandler and that fat guy from King of Queens have to pretend to be gay with each other for some rediculous and most likely contrived plot device. I have no interest in seeing this film and I'm personally not offended by it (or what I know of it - which is admittedly little) but it does bring up a point - why is it that homosexuality is so often a comedic tool in modern entertainment? Watch ANY blockbuster comedy movie, network sitcom, or even many amatuer stand up routines and you will see that gay jokes are in abundance - overwhelmingly so. Sure, even as a gay man I can see the humor in some of these jokes, but why does it seem like gay jokes are still the end-all-be-all of American Humor? We claim to be such a diverse nation, and while homosexuality is gaining acceptance, along with nearly every other minorty, it does often feel like gay jokes are the last bastion of political incorrectness.
I guess the divorce rate amongst heterosexual marriages is no laughing matter. Nor is it easy for most straight men to laugh at their utter incompentance when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex. However, suggest that your best bud is a little "light in the loafers", and you've got a real knee slapper!
I'm not here to get all millitant and call for some revolt against the straights - I'm not even particularly angry about this phenomenon. I just don't think it's really that funny anymore. Comedy movies in the 90's were all about being gay. It's nearly ten years later now - can't we think of something new?

Comments

Scarlet said…
I TOTALLY agree and I thought the exact same thing when I saw the trailers for this movie. Why can't we see more movies about how stupid we are for letting Bush spend trillons of dollars on a lame, useless war. Don't cha think that ought to make some people laugh? By the way, we caught an episode of Lil' Bush...OMG, talk about funny!

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!