New Music

With the new year came three new (and two fairly new and rediscovered) CD's that I obtained that I have been extremely fond of lately.
Belinda Carlisle - "Voila" - her new album (released next month, suckas!) is a collection of classic french pop songs (yes, sung in french) from the 40's - '60's. It is really an amazing album, her first in over a decade, and the arrangements and production are very full and rich. Some have described it as being similar to Massive Attack and Portishead, which isn't exactly accurate but does give sort of an idea as to the overall sound.
CSS (Cansei de ser Sexy) - This is a young band from Sao Paola Brazil who are signed to Sub-Pop here in the states. Apparently they gained notoriety in South America primarily from photos of themselves on various photologs and eventually got around to recording an album. The album is actually tons of fun and the broken-english lyrics are extremely fun to sing along with. "Meeting Paris Hilton" features the line "the bitch said yeah, the bitch said yeah yeah yeah" and other song titles include "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above" and "Music is my Hot, Hot Sex." Their sound is indie-pop with lots of crunchy guitars and synth warbles.
Emma - "Life in Mono" - The third solo album from Emma Bunton continues where the last one, "Free Me" left off - with 60's jazz and samba ditties but now with much more flair, orchestral backings and a more mature, sophisticated sound. As evidenced on the serene, lush opening ballad "All I Need To Know," Emma has shed the shackles of being "baby Spice" and reinvented herself as a light-hearted songbird a la a female Burt Bacharach and has taken her voice to new levels. This is a CD that almost anyone can enjoy and sounds great for a cocktail party or just to relax around the house.
Kelly Osborne - "Sleeping in the Nothing" - I meant to buy this CD back when it came out because of the single "One Word" which was a fantastic slice of retro-eighties new wave dance pop. The album is all in that same vein, some with more guitar but still keeping the electro/synth vibe going strong. A couple of numbers, most notably "Don't Touch Me When I'm Sleeping" are cringe-worthy and completely skippable, but overall it's a fun album from a highly unlikely source.
Lady Sovereign - "Public Warning" - I just think she's hot and I love the chorus "Love me or hate me that is the question, love me or hate me it's still an obsession, and if you love me then - THANK YOU - and if you hate me then - FUCK YOU." You just have to sing along!!!
Yes, I listen to a lot of female singers!

Comments

downtown said…
glad to learn that Baby Spice is still alive and kickin. I'll have to check her out (but my heart will always belong to Dykey Spice - I mean SPORTY).
As for Lady Sov, she's the biggest midget in the game! Love her.
thanks for the musical rundown.

Popular posts from this blog

Human League Albums: From Worst to First!

Amy Crosby, 1970-2021

All the Thompson Twins albums (+ Babble) ranked!